heavily embossed wallpaper - some ideas ladies and gents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pig of a job to do in an office hallway. They have removed an internal door frame and they want the decorations on either side to match up as best as possible. The building is an old victorian one with about 12 layers of wallpaper on. I did suggest they strip the whole lot off and then it will need reskimming but thats a no no. Im left with trying to paper a small patch (about 6 sqm) under a dado rail. Not a great problem as im using embossed paper, but it is going on top of a heavily embossed paper, which i think will show through. The depth of the embossing is about 2mm.
I did consider giving it a coat of the polycell wall filler/smoother which is suppoesed to smooth out walls up to about 1mm. Any other good ideas????

Thermo

Sponsored Links
Have you tried pulling the top layer of embossed paper off, might be lucky and leave just the backing paper. Unless its original lincrusta.

Jason

Have you heard of Gyproc Easi-Fill or Easy-Fill 45 ? Approx' £8 per 10 kg

I have use gyproc easy fill up to 3mm with no problem and it's one of the best filler I have come across and the Artexer's swear by it, so easy to use.( can be dusty when rubbing down) I'm not sure what the difference is with gyproc easy-fill 45. Give them a ring on their website to see if it's suitable for your need.

I use the Easyfill a lot, not just for taped & filled joints but for all internal filling, make sure its fresh I find as the bag gets old it's working time reduces and also seems a bit harder to sand. Get a taping knife and drywall sander to go with it.

I think the 45 has a different working/setting time.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Jason, i did consider this, but i just know whats likely to happen! I think the gyproc idea is the one to go with. I take it its easy to apply with a steel float. Damn site cheaper than the other route i was thinking of as well.

Gents as always you are a bunch of sparkling diamonds

Thermo

Can be a bit "sticky" on a float, try using the float at an angle like a large filling knife.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back