How to finish our wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Already picked up some good advice on here about other topics and hoping for the same with this!

We are in the final stages of renovating our newly purchased 1800s cottage.

2 walls of the lounge are next on the hit list (the others have already been taken back to beams and built back out again with ply/plasterboard/skim).

As I've investigated these two walls I have discovered that we have the following layers:
Lathe and Plaster
Dreaded woodchip
A plaster skim
Paint

The paint is coming off in sheets as there was clearly no mist coat done, so that has been nice and easy.
Some of the plaster skim has come off in small places/patches to reveal the woodchip underneath. In one small place, the woodchip has also come away and back to the lathe and plaster, but it's in decent condition.

The woodchip/plaster skim/paint has been up for at least 20 years as we have seen the photos from circa 1990 and it was all in place then. Upon inspection, the woodchip and plaster skim seem rock solid across probably 90% of the walls.

Is this a case of, if it isn't broke then don't fix it? I was intending to patch up any holes with gyproc filler. Is there anything else I should take into consideration?
As a lot of it is in good condition, I don't fancy taking back to the lathe and plaster unless necessary as stripping woodchip (and it's obviously stuck on tight!) would be a right PITA!

We haven't decided if we are going to paint or wallpaper the wall.
I know you have to mist coat new plaster, which I have done where we have had it but if we decide to paint do I need to mist coat the plaster skim even if its 20+ years old?
After stripping the paint, its feels like new plaster and is very smooth.

And if we paper, I'll be lining it prior.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back