Dreaded woodchip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every ceiling in our house has got bloomin woodchip on it. The kitchen ceiling in particular is a mess (due to my neighbour flooding us). I was going to strip the woodchip off, but the ceiling has been plasterboarded and the woodchip stuck on that - so it's not coming off - not without half the ceiling coming with it.

I'm not sure I want the upheaval of getting it skimmed - any other ways of making it look half way decent? Is that Wall Doctor any good?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I want the upheaval of getting it skimmed - any other ways of making it look half way decent? Is that Wall Doctor any good?

I used it twice for a customer and, although it worked well, I didn't like the pattern any more than the woodchip. It's probably just a personal opinion but I felt that changing from woodchip to bark effect wasn't really worth the time and effort - I'm not sure how many patterns are available, so maybe you have seen something better.

I've actually not looked at any of it yet - just read that it's supposed to cover woodchip.

Who in their right mind puts woodchip up on unskimmed plaster board? It just won't budge - not without taking half the ceiling with it and giving me third degree burns if I try the steam stripper on it :mad:

Sponsored Links
Simply overboard it and get it skimmed - cover the wall units etc. with a light poly dustsheet stuck with masking tape and get a good spread who uses stilts. If there are multiple ceiling lights through holes - make a plan of their positions and cut the holes After the skimming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back