Wallpaper overlapping slightly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just completed my first wallpapering job using Harlequin vinyl. I'm happy about everything except that in a few places there is a tiny overlap which under deep scrutiny by the Mrs is coming in for some stick.

Unless direct light is on it it's unnoticable, but the kitchen lights show up any errors and it does look slightly unsightly.

i considered using a weight to iron out the overlap but to no use.

Any thoughts (I can post pictures if required) or is my Mrs being too anal about it?!!

Sponsored Links
how much overlap?
I ask cos when i put expensive vinyl in my room and it overlapped by about 2mm or so, what i did was with a very straight edge and a very sharp scalpel, i scored (cut through to the wall) down the 'middle' of the overlap. Then peeled back each edge and pulled away the shaved off bit, then stuck both edges back down and hey presto, perfick fit! :)

There may of course be other ways the pro's use, but this worked for me. A tip from my old planner/platemaking days.

Sponsored Links
Seam roller - is this to be used at the time of decorating or when everything has dried out (or both)?

Sounds good if it can be used a few days later.

You usuall get a seam roller when you buy those bumper 'decorating' packs from diy stores etc.

If you DO try my method, just make sure you use a very fine and very sharp blade. NOT a stanley knife type of thing. It does work, you just need to be a little careful.

Seam roller - is this to be used at the time of decorating or when everything has dried out (or both)?

Sounds good if it can be used a few days later.
Seams are rarely rolled, but on flat papers sometimes needed, usually got up to 2 days, best to leave rolling till paper is drying, as rolling can squeese out the glue if done too soon leaving the seam dry and paste all over the paper. Danger of bruising and stretching the seam here soooo be carefull and gentle..
Erm back to the seam :oops: :LOL:

It might just work if you gently use the edge of roller @ 45% along the seam. Caefull don't go to hard at it or you could bruise the paper and make things worse.
The blade option is ok too but be carefull not to go too far beyond the paper into wall ,emuslon, this could make the underlying paint film split and oen the paper up worsey.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back