Blown Vinyl Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently looking for ways to cover my ugly bathroom tiles. Removing them is not an option, this was done around the shower area and subsequently took half the wall with it! It was however, in the end, sucessfully re-tiled.

I dont wish to go through this process again, i am very reluctant to remove the other floor to ceiling tiles as it could potentially land me with a huge job and huge cost. I simply dont have the money.

I have another thread where i asked the question about plastering over the tiles, this is an option which i am still considering.

However, i have been looking into blown vinyl wallpaper. It is suitable for use in a bathroom on walls that do not come into direct contact with water. You can get it patterned or plain for painting.

My tiles are flat and very sound, i cant see why they cant be used as a base for wallpapering like a normal wall would.

My question is which is the best way to prepare the tiles, to remove the shiny surface ready for wallpapering?

On my other thread, for plastering i would prime the walls with a PVA / Water and sand mix, this will also help fill in the grout lines.

The vinyl wallpaper i have been looking at is textured, it has a 'stippled' effect, would the PVA / Water / Sand prep br sufficient to make the wallpaper paste stick or is there another way to prime?

Sponsored Links
because of blown vinyl, or because of papering onto tiles?

Sponsored Links
The glaze on the tiles will be just to smooth to hold any kind of adhesive. I doubt you could abrade them enough to be honest to make it stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back