Wallpaper Paste Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I sized some plasterboard today with wallpaper paste. The box stated to mix 12 pints for normal paper or 16 pints for sizing. I went in the middle with 14.

I am planning to use 1000 grade lining paper. Will this mix be ok to use or will I need to ditch and start again?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you want to use the left over sizing mixture to hang the lining paper? Use the correct mix for the paper you are using and let it soak for the required time. It’ll tell you the mix on the paste packet and the soak time on the paper. Only reason I say this is that I stretched a packet of paste out once to save opening another packet of paste and after six months, the paper (I just painted it) started peeling at the joints.

Yeah was hoping to use the leftovers. The pack did not mention lining paper, but I guess that falls under ‘normal’ paper.

Sponsored Links
Sizing is normally much thinner than the mix required for lining paper (which, yes falls under the normal paper category).

To be honest, I normally mix 7L per sachet of Solvite as per the instructions for "normal" paper when lining walls. I then use the same mix to "size" the walls and then apply the same mix to the paper. I hang the lining paper whilst that section of wall is still wet. Doing so means that I am guaranteed that, on hot days, I do not need to worry about any dry spots.

I completely understand you not wanting to bin the stuff you have already mixed but buying more paste will be cheaper than potentially having to deal with problems with seams further down the line.

It may be the case that you will get away with doing a wet on wet coat- ie pasting each section of the wall as you apply the freshly pasted lining paper but that that may require you to purchase another sachet of paste anyway.

Oh, and resist any temptation to sprinkle a bit more paste powder into the current mix- it will go lumpy. There is an outside chance that you might be able to make a thick mix and blend it with your current mix, but again, it may become lumpy. Wall paper paste is a relatively cheap product. Per square metre coverage, lining paper and paints, or top cover wall papers are far more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back