Wallpaper removal: Have I removed too much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have moved into a new house and trying to remove woodchip wallpaper whilst decorating. I scored the wall and dampened them down with wallpaper remover and got scraping. There were multiple layers and I’m down to pink plaster. Have I got too far? I’m now panicking as other videos I have watched haven’t got down to plaster

Attachments

• IMG_3854.jpeg
    IMG_3854.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 144
Sponsored Links
Tap the wall to see if it sounds hollow in places. That looks like the covering of plasterboard to me. Dont panic. Just remove the wood chip layer for the rest of the room and paste a lining paper over that damaged area.

You can always get the surface skimmed if you need to.

A plasterer will have a better plan I am sure.

Tend to agree with OS, you might even try using some Wickes ready mixed plaster and skim repair as I have done in the past successfully.

Looks like plaster to me, rather than plasterboard, bit heavy handed on the scraper in a few pl;aces too by the looks.

Sponsored Links
Get the top surface of the wood chip off if possible, (I know, been there and got the T-Shirt!),.
Once the top layer is off then wet the wall with a sponge. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes, (but not long enough for it to dry out!), then gently begin scraping. Hold the scraper as flat to the wall as you can and, if you come across a stubborn bit, go past it and get off what you can. Use a proper scraper, not a butter knife, screwdriver, paint scraper etc. Believe me, I've seen people use all manner of things to try and get paper off! Nothing beats a good paper scraper.
DO NOT DIG AT A STUBBORN PIECE!
Because it's many layers, two things can happen. It may start to come off as thick cardboard or it may only come off a layer at a time, (usually does this if one of the layers is washable or thickly painted over).
Patience is the key here. Wet a small patch, say 1 metre x 1 metre and concentrate on that to begin with. You will learn how wet to get it and how quick it will come off, then you can progress to a larger area.
When you see the pink plaster, you are there. Don't go any further. If you do have any holes/dinges etc, fill in with something suitable and, when dry, lightly sand smooth and even.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back