Wallpaper removal hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to remove the wallpaper from the landing and stairs of an old house, built in about 1920.

The walls in question have never ever been stripped, they have merely been papered, painted, re-papered, re-painted and so on.

The problem is that some of the painted paper is very old, and is quite akin to an oil based gloss paint, which of course, forms a lovely barrier to steam. The paste holding this stuff on is something else!

I am tearing my hair out with the slow progress of this job. :evil:

I can get the top layers of paper off, then score the walls with a stanley knife, hold the steamer on and apply the scraper. The last (gloss painted) layer of paper refuses to budge and I get about 1/2" off at a time. More steam, which then softens the lime plaster through the score line and then the scraper gouges the plaster!! :mad:

Are there any other tried and true methods, other than steaming, of loosening the paper? If it has to be this way I am going to have to use a bag of plaster to re-fill the gouges, but at the end of the day I want this muck off the walls.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've used a blowlamp on that kind of thing, a hot air gun might be safer.

If you have an anaglypta-type paper with a sort of orangey-brown glue under it, it may contain lead, so a blowlamp is not a good move.

I gave up on steam removal of wallpaper following several mishaps where the plaster came away too!
What I find works well is to use something like a 'Stanley Maxi Orbital Wallpaper scorer' all over the painted surface - don't apply too much pressure or you may score the plaster underneath.
Then apply wallpaper stripping solution - let it soak a few mins and wahey!

Sound to me like there may be lincrusta paper on there..or ordinary paper thats been varnished.

If i knew ov an easy way for getting that stuff off I wouldnt be here now...id be spending my millions on beach somewhere hot.

For really difficult papers you could try sticking a pair of marigolds on and using boling water with a little of washing up liquid in the to ****** the drying a bit.

Put it on with a longish pile roller sleeve to help avoid hot splashes.

Sponsored Links
The best way is a really sharp scraper - and I mean really sharp. I use a 2" chisel that is sharp enouigh to shave the hair on my arms. I sharpen it every 10 mins.

Thanks a lot chaps! I'll be giving those tips a whirl as soon as.

I've never heard of wallpaper stripping solution, I'll get a vat of the bloody stuff if it helps!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back