Wallpaper striping also removed paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have been stripping wall paper off the walls in my newly aquired house. However this has also pulled the paint off which was behind the paper back down to the bare plaster.
I do not want to re-paper just paint the walls, however where the paint is missing from the wall and meets the original paint it creates a small step which will be seen when the paint is dry.

Is there anything which can be done to make this less noticeable? I don't really want to have to get the walls re plastered or put up lining paper.
All advise appreciated
Cheers
Ads

Sponsored Links
How much paint has come off?

Is it practical to remove the remaining paint?

Is it decent, hard plaster, or soft, crumbly, cruddy old stuff?

Patches of the paint have come off all over the wall.
The plaster is good, solid, hard plaster. The rest of the paint can be steamed off with a scraper but it is a very big wall, all the way up the stairs. Plus I was worried about damaging the plaster by steaming again.

The small area i have tried getting the paint off, some is still left behind where this is a slight dip in the plaster and the scraper doesn't get in there. This slight dip would otherwise go un-noticed.

I have seen you can get a filler primer paint for walls, but didn't know if it would be any good?
Like the everbuild filler coat here http://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/35,Fillers and Decorating Sundries/36,Decorating Fillers/2

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone got any ideas on how to best remidy the problem?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back