Wallpapering a difficult corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I was wondering if anyone has knowledge on how to hang wallpaper on a complex corner of my living room?

I have just managed to prepare the room for patterned wallpapering but realised that there is a difficult corner to do. The corner of the wall is 3/4 bending/curving around and then has a traingle which has its base going inwards towards the bend.

The top of the triangle sticks outwards and above it is the remaining wall corner as 90 degrees sharp bend.

I've attached 3 photos and hope you'll get what i'm trying to say.

I hope some expert can help me.

Thanks!

wallpapersh4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nasty!!...personally id move mate!

Otherwise.......

Firstly the wall looks like its going to need a bit of filling..do this, it will help you even our any bumps and dips in the wall which are a right pain when your going around a corner such as this.

Next..size the walls with a couple of coats of thin paste, it will slow down the suction and give you time to move the paper around a bit.

As for papering...

Well I would have a crack at putting a length of lining paper up first to see if the walls or more to the point, the corner is true, if it isnt youl end up with a crease in the paper...but its better to find that out with lining paper as opposed to you wall paper.

When it comes to the real thing You need to paper that trianglar bit first, cut it so it goes past the edges by about 10mm then cut little snips in the waste about 25mm apart and paste it around the corners.

When you put your full length up yould need to cut around the trangualr bit to the botoom corner of it to allow the paper to bend around.

If its a vinyl then youl need overlap adhesive as vinyl doesnt stick to itself.

Anyone else out there help with this?...its very difficult to explain

thank you for your help. Okay, the wall bumps/dips mate I will correct. I will try lining paper mate, but..... :oops: i'm really really sorry zampa I don't understand how your asking me to do this.

Can you explain in a more different way mate?

Can anyone else help?

Thanks

How about filling in the whole corner to a sharp 90 degrees, just like you have under the bottom of the coving, which will remove the problem.

Would that look OK compared to the rest of the room....?

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply trazor,

unfortunately missus won't be too happy as this is a nice feature to have, rather than straight corners. Although its a very difficult corner to wallpaper, it can be done as previously it was wallpapered too and you could not tell where the joints were. But me being the idiot didn't take notice of how the previous one was done and stripped it off.

Don't see those in modern houses! It's all because the plasterer couldn't be bothered to fit the "cove" around a bend - made it easy by putting a 90 degree corner in at the top!

If you are using a textured paper that you are going to paint I wouldn't paper the triangle - just paint it the same colour as the paper.

If it is a paterned paper you could paint the triangle the same as the woodwork and not paper it or paper it as suggested above.

Depends what you want it to look like when finished.

depends what paper you use as to how its going to look, be easier to hide the splice using anaglypta with a random pattern in it

IJwS15...this is an old victorian terraced house (built approx 1890).

Andybill...I'm using patterned (textured vinyl) paper. I wish i could simply use anaglypta, but it would look very ugly and as i said before, the missus won't accept it.

I was wondering if the following is possible?:-

walljointsnv2.jpg

how can that work ? the top of the triangle point on the 'bottom' piece wont reach the 'top'piece will it?

when i last did it i firstly papered the triangle bit overlapping onto the 2 walls about an inch. Then hung the two drops either side of the triangle bit and then spliced everything in.
But as i said ,this was with a blown vinyl with a pattern that was easy to hide.

ripperuk

Had similar corners in a 1950ish semi, without the cornice/picture rail and my parents last house (1880ish) also had them with the high ceilings, cornice etc.

If you follow your diagram you will have a mismatch in the horizontal join as it is further round the sharp corner than the curve - you need to work around the curve and then back into the corner from both sides at the top. Also the "bend" at the bottom (should read top) of the triangle is not straight - a junction between a curve and a plane is curved - so if you try to do it as one piece with the main drop you will have creases in it unless it is a very stretchy paper.

Error corrected

thank you very much guys for your advice..its very much appreciated. Unfortunately, since each of you are giving me different advice, I can't understand how each of you are explaining i can do this :confused: :oops: .

I hope this is not too much to ask, but I would be most grateful if you could do me a quick diagram to explain how each piece would join on and if possible a step-by-step explaination what i need to do.

thank you once again.

Hi

i have the same corner i my house but with the triangle top and bottom.

the patterned paper that was up there when i moved in did not match at the joint, i think you could get the match at the joint with a large pattern.

i lined the walls and painted making the joint on the angle, couple of coats of paint and the joints gone.
keep it plain keep it simple

Im sure we could all do it for you...just so hard to explain mate.

I would work from the corner towards window frame, so you have a strait edge to work from. When you go round corner snip around the triangle and dont worry about wall showing in the triangular bit, concentrate on getting round the main circular bit, get it smooth round the bend without worrying about paper edge nr window frame being out of tru, and make sure the top of paper goes round the square cnr (it will be out of tru with the rest of edge) . On the triangle, find a matching peice of paper that will blend in, paste with border adhesive, slide this into position pull the main paper away gently to let in the triangle, if its a heavy texture you may get away with double cutting it in. when your happy with it, the next length can be overlapped to a matching point and double cut down the whole seam. If its dodgey perhaps extend the curtain rail.... :LOL:

Sorry english aint my subject... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back