Advice on wallpaper hanging needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first go at wallpaper hanging, I have read up on the net and watched some online vids, tonight we hung the lining paper as a practice for the nice wallpaper we have, but there are a few things I need to know.

How wet should the paper be? We mixed a pack of paste for enough paper but I have half a bucket left, should the paste be heavily applied ?

Is there a fine line between to much and not enough ?

Any tricks for cutting into a corner of a wall, even thought the corner is not a sharp 90 degrees ?

Any other help would be welcomed to :D

Sponsored Links
Ensure the paste is well mixed to the correct proportions required for the type of paper you are using.
There is a fairly fine line when it comes to pasting - you are basically looking to cover the paper evenly to a thickness of 1-2mm. Too much will see paste squeezing out of the edges and marks through the paper, whereas not enough will obviously result in it not sticking.

Allow a little extra paper at the top and bottom of each sheet for trimming.
Fold each sheet and allow to soak for the specified time, as this will give the pliability needed for easy hanging.
Let each sheet soak for the same amount of time, otherwise you will end up with a pattern that is staggered.
Always use a plumb line to mark a vertical starting point as spirit levels can run out of true over a long drop.
Starting in a corner, take your first sheet about ½" onto the adjoining wall (for a plain paper) as this will allow you to overlap and trim to perfection. With a patterned paper it is better to use half sheets in the corners to allow for easier matching.
Smooth out air bubbles from the centre outwards because they will be more difficult to remove the longer they are left.
Wipe any excess paste off the face of each hung sheet with a damp sponge.
The most important tip is to take your time!

the paper should be evenly covered, no big lumps and not thick, just an even covering, as for mixing the paste, i have never gone of the instructions on the packet, they are just a guide anyway, if what you have done already is still stuck to the wall then i would say your mix is right, any left over paste will keep for a good while, infact i prefer to always have my paste mixed as its a nicer consistancy when its a day old! as for cutting into the corners, you need to do a slight overlap, not to much half inch will do, depends on condition of the corner, with older houses you may find half inch at the top is fine but when you get down the bottom or places in the middle if they are doglegged corners you could be short by 3 inches i use a blade for the cutting, you can then follow the contours of the walls and for god sake, don't try and paper around an internal corner, you will never get it right unless its 100% accurate and they never are.

When approaching an internal corner measure the distance from your last drop into the angle, do this at top, centre, and bottom, and add 1/2 ins to the greater of these measures.

Cut your new drop to your choosen distance and hang your drop, then note the measurment of the offcut and place this on the next wall, strike another plumbline and hang the offcut into the internal corner.

Following these guidlines will ensure a crisp angle and no loss of any pattern repeat.

Good luck

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thank you all,

the lining paper has stayed up, and we have just stared the main wallpapering, we had a problem with the first sheet and decided to remove the paper, but this has left us with some bubbled areas and they dont want to stick down, will this happen to all of our paper? Even if we keep the wallpaper up?

Also can I just cut the bubble and put some paste in?

Do you mean the lining paper has bubbled?
If so you can cut a cross into the bubble and re-paste, but it is wiser to let it dry again before covering with the finishing paper. If it continues to bubble it is likely that it has not stuck well enough and will probably need removing,(hope not!) but sounds more likely that it has been loosened by removing the top sheet.
If the top paper is bubbled, you can try carefully peeling back to the bubble and brushing out again. This really needs to be done immediately though because it is surprising just how quick the paper sticks. It is not wise to start cutting into the top layer if inexperienced, as the patch will usually show. Should you decide to, then use a new stanley blade to keep the cut as neat as possible.

Thank again for all of your help, its been a very busy week so I'm just catching up.

The wallpaper fiasco was a case of “don't panic” we took our time and the wall paper looks great, we had some bubbles under the wall paper, but this was due to the paper being dam, as we got the hair dryer out and they soon disappeared, in the end we over lapped the paper by about a millimetre, and I chained cutting blades every three papers, as my blade kept snagging.
The corner was a nightmare we had to attempts in the end and on the second go we did OK, we plan on papering again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back