wallpapering a sloping wall under eaves advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm not even sure of the terminology here so bear with me!

I'm going to wallpaper a feature wall in our bedroom which slopes into the eaves i.e. it's a normal straight vertical wall for the first 175cm or so then it slopes out towards you as you look at it to join on to the ceiling for another 45 cm or so. My wife refers to it as a coombe wall (??).

Anyway, I was wondering what the advice would be for papering this as I'm going to paper the angled, sloping bit as well as the usual vertical face. Like an idiot I have of course bought patterned wallpaper where the matching will be tricky. I suppose there are 2 choices basically: 1) try to hang single lengths or 2) cut, then hang each strip in 2 sections (sloping bit then vertical) where I would have to try to match horizontally (at the cut) as well as the usual vertical match.

Any advice would be really welcome, apologies if I've not explained it very well!

Steve

Sponsored Links
I don't fully understand your question - so apologies, apologies, apologies.

But you would start at the end where the wall is at its highest, and work towards the slope. Ensure the first length is level, by marking a vertical plumb line on the wall with a pencil.

When you get close to where the slope starts, you could roughly work out where the off-cut will be on an unpasted piece of paper, taking the pattern into account, and cut off an appropriate chunk, still leaving plenty of paper left to trim once you have pasted it to the wall.

Hope this helps, as I didn't really understand the question.

I wallpaper most weeks and I'm sorry but I too don't understand what you mean. Can you post some pictures?

I’m guessing you simply mean there is a skeiling on one wall.

skeilings dont have crisply formed angles, they tended to get blended by the plasterer. cutting the paper won’t work.

quite often skeilings aren’t level across the wall - if that’s the case it might throw the wallpaper off.

Sponsored Links
There we go, see attached. As I say, it's the sloping wall with the mirror to be papered, the wall to the left will just be left painted. As well as advice re best way to paper it, could someone tell me the correct terminology for that kind of wall please so I don't over-explain and confuse people again? :giggle:

Attachments

• 20221120_102659.jpg
    20221120_102659.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20221120_102728.jpg
    20221120_102728.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 57
Hmm, looking at that it can be a personal choice how you paper it. You could even leave the sloping wall as part of the ceiling. (More likely in a loft though.
Having that coving on the other wall also adds to things.
So if you want it all papered I would paper left to right doing the left wall first. When you reach the corner peice you need to add about 20 cm to the height, measure from previous length to corner and add two cm. Then cut that away from the corner peice. Put the left peice up, trimming off the top peice that goes round the corner but leaving 2cm on the sloping wall
(I'm trying to explain what's in my head sorry )
You then need to get the peice left on your table, plumb a line down the slope wall slightly wider.
Now looking at that slope you will need to do it in two pieces. Only the lower peice will match the left wall. You will have to cut this peice at the point where it matches the left peice but at the slope. Put this peice up then put up the top (slope) bit (following the pattern upwards) and cut at ceiling point. To tidy up the slope joint I would then put the top peice under the bottom peice and cut into the slope line. In all honesty I would probably do away with the top left slope peice and cut the exact match from a new peice so the pattern down is perfect.
Now you paper the rest of the sloped wall with each peice being cut at the middle line. If you want a perfect match you can cut each length to the middle line and go all the way across. Then cut all the lengths from bellow the slope line and go across.
Hope this makes a little bit of sense. Blimey I could have done it for you in the time it's taken me to type this

Hmm, looking at that it can be a personal choice how you paper it. You could even leave the sloping wall as part of the ceiling. (More likely in a loft though.
Having that coving on the other wall also adds to things.
So if you want it all papered I would paper left to right doing the left wall first. When you reach the corner peice you need to add about 20 cm to the height, measure from previous length to corner and add two cm. Then cut that away from the corner peice. Put the left peice up, trimming off the top peice that goes round the corner but leaving 2cm on the sloping wall
(I'm trying to explain what's in my head sorry )
You then need to get the peice left on your table, plumb a line down the slope wall slightly wider.
Now looking at that slope you will need to do it in two pieces. Only the lower peice will match the left wall. You will have to cut this peice at the point where it matches the left peice but at the slope. Put this peice up then put up the top (slope) bit (following the pattern upwards) and cut at ceiling point. To tidy up the slope joint I would then put the top peice under the bottom peice and cut into the slope line. In all honesty I would probably do away with the top left slope peice and cut the exact match from a new peice so the pattern down is perfect.
Now you paper the rest of the sloped wall with each peice being cut at the middle line. If you want a perfect match you can cut each length to the middle line and go all the way across. Then cut all the lengths from bellow the slope line and go across.
Hope this makes a little bit of sense. Blimey I could have done it for you in the time it's taken me to type this

Thanks so much, only thing is, as I said in previous post, I'm not papering the left hand wall, that's being left painted, only the sloping wall is being papered, so that simplifies things. Once again though thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back