wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am thinking of hanging 1700 grade lining paper and painting.
will i need any heavy duty paste.
i think 1700 will give a nicer finish than other grades.
any ideas??
also the existing wallpaper is a shiny vinyl paper. can i paper over or do i have to strip or use a type of bonding. i'd rather not strip if i don't have to

Sponsored Links
gotta strip the vinyl mate. Its should be really easy, peel the vinyl and this will leave the backing paper, give that a good soak with water and it will come off very easy. 1700 grade paper is for pretty bad walls so do you really need that? I personally use 1200 grade on everything but thats cos I am used to working with the 1200. Have used the 1700 and its like cardboard. If your walls are fine you can even use a 1000. No need for special paste. I use Solvite and mix it to about 1 gallon per 2 sachets but they do give a guide on the box.

Ditto DSD,

Make sure you give the walls a good size (mix instructions on paste packet) and, after you've pasted each sheet, let it soak for at least 5 minutes, preferably 10.

When you're butting up the drops make sure you don't overlap, it shows up something terrible after the paint job. Obviously get it as tight as possible, but its better to leave a slight gap between drops (up to 0.5mm) these will fill with emulsion and won't show when its painted.

Once your paper is hung and dry, run round the perimeter with decorators caulk, this gives a nice smooth finish to your edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back