Wallstar 20/25 smoking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my 3 yr old oil boiler has just begun to give out a great plume of black smoke from the top outlet. It seems like there's not enough air getting to the fuel, but that's just my guess. Have had a guy out to it, who has looked at every component, fitted a new nozzle, tested the oil pressure and burner settings, and all seems to be as expected. He's stumped. Any clues or advice? Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Its only a boiler and any competent oil boiler engineer should be able to easily find the fault.

I cannot guess because anything could be wrong but its such a simple effect that it will have a simple cause.

Just how can an experienced boiler engineer say that "he doesn't know whats wrong!"

Tony

I got the guy's name from the OFTEC website, so I presumed he'd know his stuff about oil boilers. Perhaps I'll need to look elsewhere. It's an HRM Wallstar 20/25 standard boiler - are they known for air intake problems? Is there an internal part that deals with this function that is prone to problems?

Has this "qualified engineer"checked every fuel filter, and ensured there is no water in the tank? Smoke does not necessarily mean excess fuel and short of air. It can be caused by fuel starvation too. Can your techy get it to run without smoke? If so, what are the combustion figures?

Sponsored Links
Try someone else, as tony quite rightly says, it is only a boiler after all, and there are only a few permeatations as to the fault.

I seem to be one of the very few to have a digital tachometer to measure fan speeds!

Tony

I seem to be one of the great many who's entirely unimpressed by your constant and tedious showing off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back