walnut/iroko worktop in rental property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother-in-law owns a property which is currently being rented out, but its in a fairly bad state so we are renovating the house and plan to live in it for a couple of years before renting it out again.

We are refitting the kitchen and like the idea of cream gloss doors with a walnut worktop, but were concerned that tenants wouldn't be able to maintain the wood - i've read that iroko is more resistant to warping and rotting, but even then, is it a really bad idea? bearing in mind, the property is in zone 1 in london and so rental is quite high = better tenants (possibly). Or should we just forget the whole thing and just go for wood effect laminate.

Sponsored Links
real wood is great but it needs constant care - no hot objects, no wet things, clean and oil regularly.

If it wasn't your house, would you bother? Kitchens are full of wet and hot things.

Laminate does the job better.

best people to ask are the letting /management agencys

they know whats expected they know whats acceptable
and assuming they have been in buisness for more than 10 years they will know how units /worktop last in a hostile enviroment

Sponsored Links
I have had a lot of experience with rental properties and your tenants will not look after real wood work tops.

Fit cheap laminate worktops and I suggest that you have butt joints (a joint that has a metal piece between it) rather than scribed masons joints. this will allow you to replace just a section of worktop should it become damaged.

A few other pointers.

If the flooring in your kitchen and bathroom is concrete fit ceramic tiles (make sure you keep a good quantity for spares)
If the floor is wooden fit vinyl.

For all living spaces fit laminate flooring.

Avoid carpets wherever possible. (Biggest source of arguments between landlords and tenants)

There are only two colours for rental properties white and magnolia. use satinwood for all woodwork as it is self undercoating and will only require one coat to refresh it between tenancies.

Avoid wallpaper.

Don't fit anything expensive, if your tenant breaks it they will thank you if it is cheap to replace. You will also thank yourself if your tenant refuses to pay for it.

A cheap/plain kitchen/bathroom can be made attractive by using good quality wall tiles, source end of ranges from local suppliers (making sure that you have more than enough to complete the job).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back