Robust Bath Front Panel -MDF or Uniline ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Please help with a difference of opinion on a bath front panel between the local trusted bathroom trade supply shop and the plumber who will do a simple but attractive bathroom refit in a rented property – I have good respectful tenants, nonetheless it should be a practical and robust installation.

I would do this job myself but don’t have the time so have found a good recommended plumber with whom I have agreed on most things. He is happy to fit what I supply but obviously has his view on things, mostly based on good/bad experience. The guy in the shop also has his favourites – perhaps based on best profit margins?

In a rented place we are all agreed to not fit a flimsy 2mm/3mm normal front bath panel as it probably won’t last very long. However, the shop recommends fitting an MDF panel - I had my doubts but was told they are fine – plastic foil covered panel – a Roper Rhodes Helios 1700mm Gloss White Wooden 12mm. Best price £40 – the shop say they are robust and waterproof and they never have any returns. The plumber says he has had failed ones after just months, so to be extra sure he says to consider fitting the Ideal Standard Uniline White Acrylic reinforced Front Panel 1700mm. Trouble is that retails at over £100, best price from the shop is £83 – a lot of money.

I went back to the shop and the guy there took exception to any criticism of the MDF panel! However, on talking a bit more he revealed that it will almost certainly need to be cut and drilled to fit it - but that it should be fine if sealed with PVA ?? I see the plumber’s point and that once broken, the plastic foil seal reveals the MDF fibre inside, and we all know how easily water finds absorbent materials, like blotting paper. And PVA or silicone etc?? It seems flawed from the start.

I don’t know? Any ideas or experience of these please, or any alternatives? I even wonder if I should fit a normal £25 panel and if it gets broken to then just replace it – at least it won’t swell from water absorption!?

I don’t mind spending the money on the Uniline if that’s the one but would like a view from you on it first. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sproutsdad

Sponsored Links
Easy answer to this one. Don't fit an MDF panel. Any leaks or moisture and the coating will come away from the panel, particularly those ones with the mirrors stuck to it. A good quality reinforced panel is better.

I normally use hardboard white front for rented places, they are cheap and easy to fit, cut, fit wit capped screws ans silicone around. If it is worn, simply replace it.

Daniel.

Thanks both for prompt replies.
Do you know these two panels specifically- the MDF Helios covered in plastic & Uniline?

Stardanny - If by hardboard you mean the MDF one, it isn't that cheap if you assume it will get 'worn' as you say which must mean it will let moisture in so to then replace it will cost £40 x 2 which is nearly the cost of the reinforced Uniline at £83 - spent once?

Squeaky - by quality reinforced panel do you mean the Uniline? Do you know this one or any others you can name or recommend please?

Thanks
SD

Sponsored Links
Not really, because I tend to just fit them rather than getting involved in what make it is. All I know is that a few MDF ones have 'blown'. Have you looked to see if you can find any reviews for it?

£83 for a panel which will last as long as the bathroom, is fine.
Expensive posh ones cost hundreds.
If you get ONE call because one of the others has failed, you've lost by going too cheap.
If you get water through a ceiling as a result, you'll have lost big-time.

If you must use MDF don't drill or cut it. Fix it with silicone only, so you can slit and remove it if you need to. Magnets on the back can help.

Cutting corners "because it's rented" is a mistake, like using cheap Silicone. Dow Corning Sanitary grade costs about £4 a tube more than the cheap stuff and lasts twice as long.

Whatever end of the tenant spectrum you're catering for, stuff has to be tough enough to clean up easily and not need replacing every 5 minutes.

Thanks both for your replies, good stuff.

I was largely swayed away from the MDF the minute I heard about it, - "MDF + water = !!! Trouble ??" But the case was put very forcefully for an MDF one.

Justin Passing - you are exactly where i had got to, the £83 for a robust and reliable product is not expensive. And this idea of giving tenants low grade stuff is misguided, most will look after something that is well presented and of quality.

The opposite end of the rental scale is a false economy by only reluctantly doing cheap and poor quality repairs. I could have 'got away' with just doing a patch-up of a damaged floor and bath front on a very tired bathroom, but have instead decided to completely refit it with nice but robust stuff. That way you get better tenants and they generally respect it.

Unless anyone has a better proposal (?) I will go with the Uniline at £83 and see it as a good investment!
Thanks everyone[/u]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back