Bath panel sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new bath installed with an MDF bath panel. The floor is tiled and the bath panel sits on top of the tiles.

I noticed the installer has not sealed along the bottom edge of the panel. Water inevitably gets on the floor.. and runs under tha bath panel.

What is normal procedure for fitting an MDF bath panel, should it be sealed along the floor? What about access for maintenance?

Are those bath panel sealing strips any good?

Sponsored Links
Run some clear silicone along there £3 and 20 minutes your done. If you have never siliconed before get the tool to make nice straight lines and practice on something a couple times.

Sponsored Links
Water inevitably gets on the floor.. and runs under the bath panel.

If you have an MDF panel then I'd worry more about water getting anywhere outside the bath and down the panel, it will swell up in no time if it gets wet.

Not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs but ..... why is water, to the amount that it is then running under the bath panel, getting on the floor? Apart from a wet person exiting the bath which there are bath mats/towels for ;) .... there should be enough of a barrier (shower screen etc) installed to stop copious amounts of water exiting the bath.

Yes I wondered about the wisdom of MDF in a bathroom. It was from Victoria plumb and sold as a bath panel tho.

Not a massive amount of water escaping the bath, just me being messy in the shower and getting out the bath dripping wet. As you say, bath mats for that job (I don't have one yet)

Yep, have seen MDF panel many times. Worst material ever to make a bath panel out of, even when painted. Every one I have seen has eventually swollen at the top and bottom edges.

Best stuff is WBP plywood with/without moldings on it, if a more firm panel than a fibre/plastic panel is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back