MDF bath panels - best way of fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've fitted my new bath (well, my Dad has) along with with a wooden batten frame. The bath panels (side and end) are white MDF with a panel and plinth for each.

Does anyone have any advice on types of fixings for these? I can screw the plinth to the frame and the plinth screws will be covered by the panel. The problem is the panels themselves - people I've spoken to have suggested mirror screws, capped screws or even brackets on the plinth to hold the panel in place. Personally I would prefer it if no screws (mirror, capped or otherwise) were visible. I obviously need the panel to be removeable for access under the bath. Any suggestions?

Regards

Matthew

Sponsored Links
if your not installing skirting that you can hold the bottom in with

your options are limited
hook under at the top gravity holding in the bottom
-------------------------- velcro at the bottom
---------------------------held in with a bead of mastic that you can cut to release
loose all the way round held in with a bead of mastic that you can cut to release

magnetic catches or simmilar

use capped screws and don't look at them.

I'm suprised the panel pack didn't come with a fixing kit (check the packaging again!). The fixing kit should contain some clips that hook over the plinths; the top of the panel slips just under the bath lip. When you want to remove the panel you lift it up slightly releasing the bottom clips and the whole thing should swing forward.

No fixing kit? Use roller catches from one of the DIY sheds or http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=19215&ts=13553

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice and ideas. Velcro sounds simple but I'm not sure it would hold the panels - they are quite heavy. The clips suggestion by Symptoms sounds ideal. There were no fastenings in the packaging - the panels themselves are made by 'Sherwood.' As the height of the panels can vary depending on the height of the bath i.e you can have more or less of the plinth showing - then any clips provided would have to be adjustable. Are these type of clips available from B&Q etc?

Regards

Matthew

Why not do as Symptoms suggests with the top (slide under bath lip), then use magnetic brackets at the bottom? It sounds as if you could fix a small batten to the back of the plinth on to which one side of the magnetic clip would fix, the other side at the bottom of the panel. No screws, nothing spoiling the panel. This is how my panel is fixed.

If you needed to remove it, a screwdriver (masked so it doesn't scratch) will just lever it away from the magnet.

I had considered magnets but again I'm not convinced they would be strong enough to hold it in position, as I said it is fairly weighty and with the knocks it's likely to receive from the children it may slip down.

Thanks for your suggestion and to all the others too.

You can get magnetic catches that are very strong, have a look in Q+B

I build a timber frame and secured the panel to the frame with strong velcro. Its spot on - hold it well and easy to remove if needed.

It's only a bath panel Matthew, you're not trying to support the roof joists!

A good length of velcro wouldn't budge, and my magnets were so strong I couldn't get the panel off at first, so had to tape over the magnet face to reduce their strength, and they're only little things.

Is MDF suitable when it can swell when it gets wet?

Tony

Course it will ....... Anyways use Brads ...... Or sunken nails..... No more nails ..... Bathroom sealer ...... Its not that tricky :eek:

If you are worried about the weight of the panel, fix a batten on the back of it to rest on top of the plinth to carry the weight, then a concealed fixing of your choice.

My choice would probably be magnetic catches, but I like the sound of the velcro idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back