walnut worktop

GLM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a walnut worktop from Tops Worktops and it is really pale coloured, nothing like the sample they sent. I didn't get to check it within the 15 day get out period (don't ask, it's a long story) so wonder will oiling it give it that rich dark walnut tone? Can anyone recommend an oil and does it get darker the more coats you give it? Or should I use a stain first?

Sponsored Links
Oil will darken it qite a lot, try Osmo PolyX

Just wet a corner with a drop of white spirit or even a finger dipped in water as see how the wood darkens, oil will have the same effect

• Thanks
Reactions: GLM
Thanks, will see if I can get that oil. Top Worktops say to use Danish Oil, but I am also thinking of Auro Worktop oil. Not sure whether an 'eco' oil is better than Danish.

Top Worktops say the walnut will darken down with oiling and that they will take it back if not, which would be incredible service if they did, but hopefully it won't come to that.

hi glm

it sounds as though the walnut worktops you have received may contain a lot of 'sap wood'. a cheaper part of the walnut tree as the demand for it is lower. this will never darken to the full extent of how a proper walnut worktop should look - even with oil. some worktop manufactures use it to 'bulk out' their walnut worktops with cheaper material.

theres a good video on youtube about walnut worktops

Sponsored Links
Hi Matthew 1984

I think you are right about the sap wood. However, after testing a Danish oil (very orange) and Rustins Worktop oil (very dull colour) I went for Auro worktop oil. It is solvent based but completely non toxic and brought out lovely tones in the wood. So while my cheap walnut worktop will not be a rich dark coloured walnut, I am now happy with the variety of tones.

Now I have to decide what to use on my walnut bannister, which is genuine walnut!

hi glm

im glad you've found a finish you're happy with. for the bannister you could try liberon finishing oil then use their black bison wax on top of that. used that combo on an old walnut table and the finish was amazing - very rewarding too - working in the oil and buffing the wax is surprisingly theraputic!

• Thanks
Reactions: GLM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back