Walnut Worktop - how to darken it!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a black american walnut worktop from Wood n Beyond. They looked fantastic but when they were oiled the bottom of the worktops were much lighter than the top of them. Anyway I asked my joiner when fitting them to make sure he used the darker side as the top side as it looked so much better. Unfortunately, he didn't heed my instructions and used one of the lighter sides instead for my kitchen island. Although the worktops were meant to be SOLID walnut I now think that a lot of sap wood has been used which is why the bottom side is much lighter. I have tried oiling the lighter side but they won't darken and now my worktops look completely different to each other as one is much darker than the other. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could darken the wood? I don't think I can stain as it's a worktop and I don't think that's a good option when preparing food on it!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Gem

Sponsored Links
Ideally you will need an off cut to play with rather than attempting to do anything with your worktop.
You can stain wood with any number of things many of which are completely safe for food use, for example tea ,coffee and wine can all be used ( and I've seen it done. Apparently the Camp coffee in bottles works very well). Also some oils are darker than others.

You can add wood dye to oil , this colours timber very evenly but dilutes the colour, try ebony on an offcut.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all your help! I will try it out and see if it works.

CHeers :D

Gem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back