Want to extend new electric cooker flex..wiring problem !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i have purchased a cooker from B&Q its a basic igis model. It only temporary as ours broke and we will be getting a better cooker with a new kitchen eventually.
Problem...i need to extend the flex on the cooker by around 2ft i followed instructions on how to locate wiring [remove a couple of screws on an access plate at rear of cooker] i have found what looks like faulty wiring see photo...this was an ex-display but no tampering with wiring is evident. It looks like its come from manufacturer like this. Is it normal i would not be any the wiser had i not needed to change cable and would have just wired it in same as old cooker. Basically from the cooker to terminal posts the colours don't match surely BROWN should match BROWN not BROWN TO BLUE looking at pic you should see the middle post has a N on the black plastic if i replace flex can i just match colours ?
Help appreciated thanks

//www.diynot.com/network/martian1/albums/

Sponsored Links
Did the cooker come with that flex in?
Seems like the people who displayed it before had no idea what they were doing. Cookers wont normally come from the manufacturer with a cable connected at that point.

Yes..just edited my post if you want to re-read. Looks like i have had a lucky escape..if the wire reached i would have just wired it straight in :eek:

Yeah, replace the whole cable to the point and wire it in properly, like you have already figured out.

Is it a small oven then? Cabling looks small.

Sponsored Links
Yes its just a single oven the cable looks the same as what i am replacing it with. Some of the ovens had plugs attached and cable looked even thinner ! I just hope nobody attempted to wire it in and turn it on like that i would imagine it would be broke if they did.

Well the cables fine then if it had a plug on it.

It's a bit concerning that a place like B&Q wouldn't have competent people for connecting displays like that, also they can get in serious poo if they sell people things connected incorrectly by there own peeps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back