want to switch to integrated units, but need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our dishwasher just packed up, and the washing machine is on its last legs, so will be replaced at the same time. I'd like to go integrated for neatness as its a small kitchen. But I'm not sure they'll fit as-is and would like some advice.

Here are a couple of pics of where my appliances currently are (would be replaced like for like.

dKcnO.jpg

oO3MU.jpg

so a few questions here.

1 - clearance: the worktop is just straight on the wall, no units underneath just the applicances. So there is a batten on the wall giving me only 58cm clearance. Additionally there are some water pipes going a little way behind the washing machine which might make it even tighter. How much clearance do I really need for an integrated unit to be flush with the worktop?

2 - the sink unit: As you can see, the sink unit just ends about 10-15cm short of the worktop where the appliances sit. Its a bit ugly and I'm not sure what should be done here. Would it be best to replace the worktop over the appliances with a deeper one so it lines up with where the sink unit cupboards finish?

3 - end of the run. Next to the dishwasher there is a fairly short end panel. Again, if I go for integrated units, will I need to replace this with a larger one to properly fit the unit door against?

4 - padding. Lastly, the whole width of the gap where the appliances go is about 1350-1400mm, so there would be a gap even after having both appliances fitted. How best to fill this?

thanks for any advice you can offer :)

Sponsored Links
so a few questions here.

1 - clearance: the worktop is just straight on the wall, no units underneath just the applicances. So there is a batten on the wall giving me only 58cm clearance. Additionally there are some water pipes going a little way behind the washing machine which might make it even tighter. How much clearance do I really need for an integrated unit to be flush with the worktop?
The integral appliances will need adequate space to sit back unit to the void under worktop and allow for a door to be installed, so they do need to be recessed beyond the front line of the worktop.
But it maybe that the batten will not prevent this from happening.
The clearance needed would normally be about 570mm, this will allow for a slight overhang on the worktop. You will have to accommodate for water supply pipe and waste, normally I would have cold supply at a low level or at sink if distance allows. But you do have the advantage of the extra space as mentioned in question "4". this could be an ideal space to take advantage of, for pipe work but level any isolation valves accessible.

2 - the sink unit: As you can see, the sink unit just ends about 10-15cm short of the worktop where the appliances sit. Its a bit ugly and I'm not sure what should be done here. Would it be best to replace the worktop over the appliances with a deeper one so it lines up with where the sink unit cupboards finish?
Normally you would expect a corner post to be positioned at the point where the sink unit meets at the right angle, this is likely to be needed any way to allow clearance for the integral appliance door to fully open or it may be obstructed by the kitchen door/draw handles.
3 - end of the run. Next to the dishwasher there is a fairly short end panel. Again, if I go for integrated units, will I need to replace this with a larger one to properly fit the unit door against?
short in what way? I assume length rather than width! If the panel is not secure you may have problems, if you can get full length to floor it would be preferable, but the kicker board will offer some resistance.
4 - padding. Lastly, the whole width of the gap where the appliances go is about 1350-1400mm, so there would be a gap even after having both appliances fitted. How best to fill this?
The corner post will take some of this space and the a fillet to hide the remainder or you migth be able to forgaet about the corner post and just fillet out.
thanks for any advice you can offer :)

Other advice would be, as appliances are integral, the electrical source will need an easily accessible place of isolation, some offer this be means of a socket in an adjoining base unit, looking at your set up and considering the adjoining unit contains plumbing for sink and this is not an ideal location for socket outlets, it maybe wise to consider above worktop isolation, via isolation switches or switched fused connection units.

Thanks. Sockets for dishwasher and washi machine are currently just under the worktop, approximately halfway between the two.

Will try and fit a fillet or corner and see how it goes. Appliances won't need to be anchored to side panels?

Sponsored Links
Depending which appliance make/model, will deepen one where it is fixed within housing, normally fix to worktop and at lower levels.
Location of sockets is key, as integral appliance often have very little allowance for appliance to be pushed back flush and any sockets at higher levels when using a plug connector, will not allow it to go fully back.
So options are low level plugs or flush outlet plates, but you need a means of isolation close by, as you are not and it is not advisable, if a fault should occurs, making appliance casing live, going to be able to isolate it locally. So you cannot just rely on socket outlet behind appliance, as this will not conform to electrical requirements. Could have sockets behind the bin though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back