Wanting a decent camera system hikvision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am interested in purchasing a system just have a few questions , i currently have the blink system but want something that can recored all day and doesnt require WiFi all the time.

Will the quality of the hikvision colour vu 4mp or something similar be a lot better at night eandand be generally 100 times better, i cant leave mine on all day as kids in and out and batterys wouldnt last 2 minutes so only have on over night and do they have motion detection etc

also would i need to have the nvr in loft and cameras connecting to that via poe cables ? Can cables be ran outside along walls and into loft as not sure how the cable would be covered were it plugs in ?

Would i be able to access the cameras through my phone ? Would i need ether cable into nvr or will it connect wireless to my router ? Will the nvr recored when motion detected onto the nvr and once full just overrite the oldest recordings etc and will the 1tb be enough so have a few weeks worth or recording and can they be stored etc ?

Sorry for all questions just want to make sure i make a good choice and system if future proof and good investment. Lastyly how much would this sytem set me back ?
I think i want a hikvision or another ddcent system.
Thanks for taking time to read and look forward to response Dean

Sponsored Links
firstly a decent camera system is all about getting the right cameras for the job you want them to do.

The Hikvision Color Vu in IP is limited to 4MP, if you want them in white 2.8 & 4mm versions are available everywhere pretty much, in grey the 4mm is special order in time for Christmas 10 to 12 weeks.

Pretty much every DVR and NVR on the market will allow access via a smart device, if you can download hik connect for your phone that would be a good start.

CAT5/6 cable can be used, there are threads on here advising against lofts , not so bad in winter but in summer they can get a little stressed with the heat.

external grade cables can be run along walls if you wish, but better avoided if possible.

There are other options to running cables with IP systems at least, ie passthrough ethernet over mains plus and Poe plugs.
wireless the NVR could be done with a vonets wireless bridge but hard wired is always better than wireless.

as for costs depends on how many you need.

Analogue systems are much cheaper and if done with decent cable and connects a good image can be achieved.
I have recent done a few spec and supply only deals, although one lad fell through his put his knee through the ceiling into the bedroom apparently and had trouble feeding the cables but he got there in the end.

Thanks so much for the response and answering my questions.

I have a tv upstairs in room so was hoping to run poe cables into loft and then a hdmi from loft to my tv in room.i am pretty set on IP poe system so future proof and Good quality.

Will these systems be 100 times better than blink etc ? Were are the best deals etc found?

Like you say i may have to get a tp link to connect the nvr to wifi, already have a tp link booster but will need a different one i imagine to plug in cable.

Thanks again
Dean

Sponsored Links
The best deals are based on volume purchases, some of the trade suppliers I find expensive compared to the main distributors.

but you need to spec up what you need, rather than just buying what you think would be okay.

Hi Dean, I put in a 5 camera HIK Vision system a couple of years ago and subsequently added a 6th camera. I'm a DIYer BTW.

The first thing to do is work out what cameras you need and their Field of View (FOV). There are plenty of websites which have images to show the differences between a 2.8mm & a 4mm lens. In the end I mainly used DS-2CD2385FWD with 4mm lens and i'm very happy with them.

You also need to work out how to get (i) RJ45 cables and (ii) power to the cameras. Clearly there are wifi cameras which only need power. Also, some cameras support POE but not all. I have one wifi camera and, frankly I'm not that happy with it. Last year I extended coverage of my drive with a Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I Darkfighter 8MP 4mm. It gives a very good night time image but the daytime image is inferior to the other cameras.

My NVR box is a DS-7608NI-I2/8P. I had an initial fairly rapid power supply unit failure and complained the the dealer who sent me a new PSU which has been working fine for ~2 years now. My NVR is in the house - remember you don't need to run cables to the NVR - it just needs to be on the network! I purchased the NVR box without hard disks and simply purchased the hard disks elsewhere (ebuyer from memory) making a very worthwhile saving. While i do have a physical monitor keyboard and mouse attached to the NVR box, once set-up you can do most stuff remotely.

In the short areas I've had to run cable outside I've used trunking.

I've found that the HIK Vision app works well but it's worth noting that i tend not to bother setting alerts, etc.

On a practical level the one bit of advice I'd give is to ensure that the cameras are not too high up a wall. One of my camera sites (on the corner of the house below some guttering) gets a lot of spider webs. If you google an image search on 'spider webs on cctv cameras' you'll get the idea! So I have a long pole with a duster at the end of it which allows me to clear off the webs without getting a ladder out! When i put the 6th camera in place it was a concious decision to place it where I could access it with my cleaning pole.

Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back