War Machine

Interactive-US-military-aid-Israel-1705502866.png

Al Jazeera.com

Sponsored Links
Biden is trying to provide another $12b - pretty sure I have remembered the correct number. There is a long term deal previously agreed ~3 to 4$b. The total aid is being mentioned - the balance goes to Ukraine.

Biden is trying to provide another $12b - pretty sure I have remembered the correct number. There is a long term deal previously agreed ~3 to 4$b. The total aid is being mentioned - the balance goes to Ukraine.
A bipartisan group of eight House lawmakers on Friday unveiled a $66.3 billion proposal to fund military aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan in a bid to break the House logjam on the issue before Kyiv's war effort sputters.

The measure, spearheaded by Ukraine Caucus co-Chair Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.), is a narrower version of the $95 billion aid package passed by the Senate this week. The House counterproposal removes tens of billions of dollars in humanitarian and economic aid for Ukraine and Gaza included in the upper chamber's bill and leaves the military portion that was in the Senate bill.

Politico.com

The Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, will oppose the bill and expect the MAGA mob in the Senate to raise objections. It's all become a political football, kicked back and forth between House and Senate. $47.7bn would be a vital boost for Ukrainian forces, helping them maintain the line of defence that Russia hopes to stretch to the limit by the end of this year and finally break through in 2025. A war of attrition that will test both economies endurance to provide the eye-watering amounts of money to support.

A war of attrition
It isn't just the amount of war material required in an attritional war, manpower is also essential.

Ukraine is very cagey about it losses.
It seems they have the weapons but doesn't have enough men available to use them.

Sponsored Links
Anyone remember the Cold War? Neither Russia or the USA will trade blows it will always be via proxy.

This time it's Ukraine previously it was Angola (yes), Vietnam and Afghanistan.

We are just slightly concerned as it's on the doorsteps of Europe otherwise we wouldn't give a hoot.

So chances of World War about as much chance as Boris renouncing all his lies.

Even if they get money,nobody is making shells for them.
Looking bad for Ukraine - not a lot of options. Air defences weakening.
If I wee Putin I'd be confident. Plenty of options as Ukraine runs out of everything.

1708307682073.png

Even if they get money,nobody is making shells for them.
Looking bad for Ukraine - not a lot of options. Air defences weakening.
If I wee Putin I'd be confident. Plenty of options as Ukraine runs out of everything.

Pakistan is making shells for Ukraine, that's why the US did a coup to overthrow Imran Khan as he objected to this.

U.S. HELPED PAKISTAN GET IMF BAILOUT WITH SECRET ARMS DEAL FOR UKRAINE, LEAKED DOCUMENTS REVEAL​

The U.S.-brokered loan let Pakistan’s military postpone elections, deepen a brutal crackdown, and jail former Prime Minister Imran Khan.

You wonder why dirt poor third world countries like Pakistan have such a poor view of the US when they freely meddle with their politics. So much of Africa is now the geopolitcal game of both the US and China.

The poor people of those countries take the blame and the losses, the cycle continues.

WHat could the US gov possibly know about mishandling classified documents , rigging elections, and secret deals in Ukraine?
Oh, hang on.....

It isn't just the amount of war material required in an attritional war, manpower is also essential.

Ukraine is very cagey about it losses.
It seems they have the weapons but doesn't have enough men available to use them.
American military analysts say up to 70,000 have been killed since Russia invaded two years ago. I think almost 200,000 Russian dead. Shocking, compared to the number of British killed in action during the Afgahn war: fewer than 500 over a ten year period.
Ukrainian authorities have proposed lowering the age of conscription to 25, which surprised me. I thought it'd already be much lower, since their lack of manpower is threatening the available troop numbers on the front lines and a lack of experienced soldiers will cause them problems this year.

The US budget is usually announced by the president early in the year but for the following year. Makes it tricky to know what is actually going on now other than a previous one was exceeded. Debt went up by 21% in 2020 to 100% GDP and has fallen a bit since.

US had the most capable shell production and higher stock levels than others and even managed to switch to a different size to suite Russian gear. Wonder how much of that is left and the current state of western gear that has been supplied.

Ukraine do want to make some changes to their conscription laws. Behind that is the age range of males that are allowed to leave the country. I can't remember what that was but it probably ties in with conscription. All I have heard is that they want to boost the numbers of soldiers to allow those fighting to have a rest. We get filtered news so pass.

The recent Ukraine withdrawal from an attack point that would be of concern to the Russians. Video suggests a lot of HE being pumped into an area and suggestions that the Russians would cut the troops off. This may not mean waves and waves of Russian troops being mowed down as reported by the US. There is also the question that will Russia build defence lines there or just keep Ukraine out. Ukrain's current problem is the need for them to attack.

Tanks and artillery plus troops. Take Gaza, load of bombs first. The conventional approach. Gaza can't shoot the planes and drones down.

nobody is making shells for them
you sure?

America's monthly output of the 155mm artillery shell—highly sought by Kyiv as it continues to fend off Russia's invasion—sits at about 28,000 per month as of October 2023. Bush said during a roundtable discussion with the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) on Monday that the Army is aiming to produce about 60,000 shells per month by October 2024.

you sure?

America's monthly output of the 155mm artillery shell—highly sought by Kyiv as it continues to fend off Russia's invasion—sits at about 28,000 per month as of October 2023. Bush said during a roundtable discussion with the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) on Monday that the Army is aiming to produce about 60,000 shells per month by October 2024.

Didn't know that, thanks. Assuming that's still current.. Maybe wot I red referred to the other size gun - ex soviet, that most of their arms were. They were refilling the shells at one time, with what they had, which was lower explosive than they russkies. The West weren't making those shells I believe.
Someone said they don't need Himars any more. Why?
It sounds like a battle of the drones.

I've always thought, that wIth enough pre-programmed drones, you can destroy all the big lumps of metal.
Like trucks, tanks, planes on the ground, field guns.
Or any transmitting radio - easy to detect.
Fuel stores
Then barracks
Then you've destroyed all the conventional forces and a lot of grunts, with mass produced relatively ordinary stuff.
The Iranian Shahed-136 drone from 2021 is estimated to cost $20k. With advances and mass production, the cost/effectiveness would change a lot. Commercial long range drones go from a few thousand.
One of your American, or Russian, billions would provide 50,000 of the things. And they fly home when done.

If the west do it first, what would happen if Putin nuked Kyiv? Nothing.

INteresting prog on't telly tonight - a Brit correspondent went around with the Russian side on the front line.. Much as expected. Not much going on.

US President Joe Biden blamed Ukraine's withdrawal from Avdiivka on congressional inaction over a crucial foreign aid package - including funding for Ukraine - which forced troops to ration ammunition.

BBCnews.co.uk

The Russian army has done its usual bang-up job of reducing a city to rubble, forcing the population to flee, then calling it a victory. The front line has been attacked in several places, but the town of Avdiivka took the brunt of winter fighting as Russian troops were shuttled along the front as the situation developed in their favour. Ukraine was unable to respond quickly enough in some areas due to a lack of ammunition, soldiers or both.

Institute for the Study of War has this assessment of the front line as it stands and Arcgis.com has an interactive map of the entire front line.

Sponsored Links
Back