Warm Air Heating - Extending Ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Looking to extend our existing warm air heating duct by about 30cm. Seems to measure about 6 inch diameter but cannot find exactly what ducting I need to join it to the existing.

jzq4iqC.jpg

nTMEjpJ.jpg

As the bungalow was built early 70's I imagine the stuff is no longer made so not sure how to go about it.

Only thing I seem to find is spiral tube but no idea if it would but upto the existing pipe and bend.

http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/Spiral-Tube-Duct-1.5m-Lengths.html

Any help much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
bmouthboyo, good evening.

Can I suggest you consider "flexible ducting?"

i have seen miles of this stuff installed especially at the termination between the rigid and the outlet.

The web site you posted has a range of aluminium insulated and un-insulated ducting.

One advantage that you could make use of is the flexible s jointing method, circular bands, like large Jubilee clips, this will get you over the problem of looking for a dead fit on the rigid installation you are facing.

Ken

bmouthboyo, good evening.

Can I suggest you consider "flexible ducting?"

i have seen miles of this stuff installed especially at the termination between the rigid and the outlet.

The web site you posted has a range of aluminium insulated and un-insulated ducting.

One advantage that you could make use of is the flexible s jointing method, circular bands, like large Jubilee clips, this will get you over the problem of looking for a dead fit on the rigid installation you are facing.

Ken

Hi Ken, thanks for replying.

I have actually ordered some semi rigid 150mm ducting from ebay as it is so cheap (£8) that I wont be too ****ed if it doesn't fit. I think it will go over the pre crimped duct but not sure how I am going to join it to the L bend as they will be very similar diameter and I do not have a crimping tool. I am hoping it will slide over and I can duct tape, large jubilee and lag over.

Just get some thin gauge galvanised steel sheet and make up a duct...use a pop rivet gun and foil tape.

Sponsored Links
Just get some thin gauge galvanised steel sheet and make up a duct...use a pop rivet gun and foil tape.
What he said. A closure plate for a gas fire would be perfect with a roll of aluminium foil tape. About £15 for the lot at a plumbers merchant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back