Warm deck-no vapour barrier but foil backed foam insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We're in the process of fixing up all the cr@p left to us by our long departed gorilla cowboy builders ... I can think of a few more choice names to call them but I won't

Our roof is a mess - flat roof - quite large at 60 odd m2 covering back of the dining room, kitchen and study.

The construction is a warm deck and the make up is as follows from top down.

1. felt layer x 2 (not 3)
2. plywood
3. recticel foil backed foam insulation
4. plywood deck
5. joists
6. standard plasterboard

I'm having the whole of the felting removed and re-laid properly by a reputable roofer along with the lead flashing, fascias and some of he guttering ... its gonna cost a pretty penny or three. He won't be able to do this till late Nov though :(
Meanwhile, we have tons of other things to get on with - kitchen installation in Oct, new flooring and other decorating and internals to take care of.

But .. my mind is now turning to the roof and the fact that we don't have a vapour barrier below the foil backed insulation - i.e. on the warm side. I explained this to BC a while ago and they seemed to be quite happy with this - the foil acts as a barrier apparently.

So now I'm in a quandary - I'm wondering if I'm best off asking the roofer to lift up the ply and the foam and re-lay all of it but with a vapour barrier first - sounds like a scarily expensive bit of work and probably more so very disruptive to the rooms below (more painting and plasterboard repairs?)

Or am i over-worrying and should just wait and see how things go with regards to condensation - especially if BC are happy with this part of the roof build. We'll have a fairly hefty extractor fan in the kitchen and there are trickle vents in dining room and study so that will reduce the condensation risk I think?

Wise words of wisdom much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There should be a vcl to enable a sealed parcel to be made of the insulation. Preferably an aluminium lined vcl.

Sponsored Links
Are your ceilings plaster boarded yet?
oldun

Hi Oldun - afraid so ... plaster boarded up, skimmed, and a first lick of paint. Also have lights up ...so the option to have foil backed plasterboard is out :(

I'm having the BCO round next week for another review

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back