Warm edge spacer bars in new double glazed units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Warm edge spacer bars - gimmick or are they of real value? How much extra does it add to the cost on average for say 10 windows?

Sponsored Links
Cost is about £5 per unit and yes it makes a real difference. Have a quick google of external condensation, This has only really been a problem since warm edge spacers came out and is caused because hardly any heat gets to the external pane of glass.
Some people complain about the external condensation but its quite rare and does show just how well the glazing is working.

Argon gas is the real con to be honest. Research suggests it will have mostly leaked out within 5 years (if they ever really put it in in the first place).
If possible avoid trickle vents, A window would not actually pass the minimum C rating with a vent fitted but they still force you to do it on newbuilds.

By your number of posts I'm guessing your a builder or keen Diy'er?
Make sure you have read up on document Q if your specifying windows for a newbuild house or extension. Its the new security regs that came into force in October and could cause you serious problems getting anything signed off if not adhered to.

Currently coming to the 70% completion stage of a large remodel with windows going in, in a few weeks. Can you pls summerise the main changes in security regs?
We wont be having trickle vents due to a mechanical ventilation system that's going in.

Also it appears it wont apply to us because our building work started in July 2015 and is still ongoing and the document says it applies from 1 oct 2015 and in any case from Oct 2016.

Sponsored Links
I think we will be doing that or exceeding those standards anyway as I'm a bit of a security nut.

Are you familiar with P5A glass? If so what are your views on it?

We were going to have one of those secure steel two leaf front doors cladded in wood with p5a glass. Same for at the side where we have a side passage to the garden.

That sounds good. I assume P5A glass is just 6.8mm laminated glass and yes its pretty damb tough. It takes 3 or 4 really good blows from a hammer to just make a hammer head size hole in it.

I was told its one or two levels down from bullet proof. We won't need that level as we are in a good area but after one unpleasant incident I remember as a child, I want the assurance.

The firm doing my double glazing has suggested that laminate glass in a bifold or patio door (opening 4m wide x 2.5m height) is extremely heavy and can wear out the bearings/runners. Is there any truth to this? They have said they will fit toughened glass as per regs but that is no way near as secure as laminate glass in fact as you know toughen glass allows you to walk straight through it once broken.

They have said they will fit toughened glass as per regs but that is no way near as secure as laminate glass in fact as you know toughen glass allows you to walk straight through it once broken.

Have you ever tried to break toughened glass in a window / door , 9 times out of 10 you won't ...even a sledgehammer will bounce off. I have been breaking old tough glass before now, in our skips , and taken corners off tough glass before it breaks.
.4 lami , is more prone to breaking in large pieces , by simply being lent on , and could easily suffer from thermal stress/breakage on hot days if the glass has shade and sun on it at once. I have seen it happen on 10.8 Lami....

Trying to break toughened by hitting in the middle is surprisingly difficult although doable, burglars know this so will either throw a slab or a concrete planter through it, those burglars who want to be a bit more discrete push a screwdriver between the glass and gasket and twist then do the same for the inner pane but between the spacer bar and glass - 2 pops and they walk in, replacing the outer pane for laminated will counter this, if a customer is very security nervous i always advise this on the downstairs windows at least

They have said they will fit toughened glass as per regs but that is no way near as secure as laminate glass in fact as you know toughen glass allows you to walk straight through it once broken.

Have you ever tried to break toughened glass in a window / door , 9 times out of 10 you won't ...even a sledgehammer will bounce off. I have been breaking old tough glass before now, in our skips , and taken corners off tough glass before it breaks.
.4 lami , is more prone to breaking in large pieces , by simply being lent on , and could easily suffer from thermal stress/breakage on hot days if the glass has shade and sun on it at once. I have seen it happen on 10.8 Lami....

As Crank says very strong in the middle but very week as the edges. I hadn't considered the method he spoke about with a screwdriver but what I always do when I'm breaking a units into the skip is just pop it with a spring loaded center punch near a corner.
Ive always though if little scrotes knew about these tools Auto glass would make a killing, Just walk down a road with one and pop pop pop car windows

An automatic centre punch would work anywhere on the glass I'd imagine.

I only mentioned the screwdriver way because that's what i saw along with the slab/planter thing when i worked for 2 of the countires largest emergency glaziers, mainly burglary work, boarding up, locksmithing, advising insurance co of repairs reqd and costs, I'd like to say I've seen every way of breaking into a house whether through doors or windows, upvc, timber or aluminium.

Lol i even went to a job where 2 guys(burglars) in hi viz vests climbed onto a roof via a ladder of a 4 bed detached house while owners were on holiday, removed roof tiles, climbed into the loft and burst through the bedroom ceiling and stole whatever they found, clever burglars because they never went downstairs - only downstairs had PIR's, just stayed upstairs and back out through the roof and away

Crank,
Now that is freaky.

What suggestions would you have for a first floor bedroom which has a ground floor extension. Laminate the back windows and maybe even the juliet balcony french doors to the master bedroom?

P5A glass - who to keep out? The chavs of Watford. Actually I made a mistake, looking at one of my quotes again, it was P2A glass. P5A was for the front secure steel door.
But seriously, I got one quote for a patio door, 4m by 2.5m high with a Reyners profile, 3 door with P2A glass for £4,000. Is that a good price? How strong is P2A? is that ordinary laminate and toughened or something more than that?

Gazman,
I assumed that most people esp burglars knew that you smash the corner of toughened glass to make the whole thing collapse into piece. Not sure how loud it is when that happens, maybe very?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back