Warm edge spacer bars in new double glazed units

European Standards

EN 356 : 1999 : 'Glass in building - Security glazing - Testing and classification of resistance against manual attack'

1. Hard body drop test

2. Axe test

EN 356 : 1999 Classifications

1. Hard body drop test

4.11 kg steel sphere (100mm diameter)

P1A 3 times from 1.5m

P2A 3 times from 3m

P3A 3 times from 6m

P4A 3 times from 9m

P5A 9 times from 9m

2. Axe test

Impact from hammer followed by axe

Minimum no. of strikes to create opening

P6B 30 - 50 strikes

P7B 51 - 70 strikes

P8B over 70 strikes

EN 1063 : 1999 Classifications

BR1 Rifle 0.22 LR

BR2 Hand gun 9mm Luger

BR3 Hand gun 0.357 Magnum

BR4 Hand gun 0.44 Rem Magnum

BR5 Rifle 5.56 x 45

BR6 Rifle 7.62 x 51

BR7 Rifle 7.62 x 51 (different twist length)

SG1 Shot gun Cal. 12/70

SG2 Shot gun Cal. 12/70 (3 strikes)
----------------------------------------------------

Doesn't Fensa/certass now say for any 1st window accessible via flat roof, conservatory roof, pitched tiled roof has to have safety glass in case a burglar cuts him/herself on float glass when they break in, so as well as all groundfloor units to have laminate outer pane I'd also spec the same for units within windows that are accessible

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Doesn't Fensa/certass now say for any 1st window accessible via flat roof, conservatory roof, pitched tiled roof has to have safety glass in case a burglar cuts him/herself on float glass when they break in, so as well as all groundfloor units to have laminate outer pane I'd also spec the same for units within windows that are accessible

Document Q only applies to new build houses and extensions not renovations/replacements. Plus as far as I am aware conservatories are still building regs free (unless over a certain size) so not required there either.

Gazman,
I assumed that most people esp burglars knew that you smash the corner of toughened glass to make the whole thing collapse into piece. Not sure how loud it is when that happens, maybe very?

Quite quite actually. The pop dosent make any noise really only the glass landing on the ground. If its onto grass or a dust sheet or something thats quite quite too.

Sponsored Links
Of course, we should think and gave consideration to the burglar and spend on them so that they dont hurt themselves. This is the UK afterall.

Why does the glass reference change from Pxx to BRx?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back