WARM FLAT ROOF CONSTRUCTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I’m converting my garage into a min recording studio. The garage is completely detached from the property. As its currently a cold flat roof, I’ve been advised to add the insulation to the top of the roof rather than inside essentially making this a warm flat roof. I’ve been quoted quite a high price to do this. The roofer basically said he does not need to remove the existing felt, he can literally add the insulation on top of the current felt and then cover this with a single ply membrane. I have a few questions?

1. Is this something I could do myself? I’m pretty confident with DIY although never done any roofing.
2. Is it as simple as placing my rockwool on top of the felt and then covering this with a membrane or do I need to add a layer of OSB over the rockwool before covering with the membrane?
3. What is the best membrane to use to cover this rather than felt?

Many thanks
Craig

Sponsored Links
It seems plausible. Perhaps insulation boards (such as cellotex) is what he is referring to. Best to have a professional in with roofing, and have them provide a guarantee. I've had one of these Rhepanol roofing (single ply) materials installed on my extension, and am pleased with it. In their Youtube video, they show it going over insulation board. Do check the weight of everything can be held by your existing structure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7AkUTgFOLc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back