Warm Roof upgrade - or unnecessary complication?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1970 house has Dormer Windows front and rear (similar house nearby), so about half the ceiling is under flat roof. They are uninsulated as far as I can tell - about 180mm air gap vented into the loft. Looking to fix that given gas prices - boiler has to work quite hard to keep it warm! Way out of my DIY limits, so it'll be a pro.

Seems like it's a choice between:
  1. bunging some 100mm celotex between the joists from the outside and re-cover - leaving it as a cold roof with cold bridging across the joists and no vapour barrier above the plasterboard
  2. building it up as a warm roof - new decking, vapour barrier, 150mm insulation and either felt or grp fibreglass on top (I accept this will result in a step unless I can get the neighbours to join in too)
Option 2 I'm assuming will be significantly more expensive - and I found a few roofers I've talked to so far seemed to be more comfortable settling for Option 1.

Quoth one such builder based on pics:
To be honest it's gonna be a lot more expensive the way you want it for the exact same outcome but if that's what you would like it's fine we can quote for that.

Another um'd & ah'd but it seemed pretty obvious he didn't want to do anything beyond Option 1 either.

Any opinions? Would a warm roof be "doing it properly" or just a waste of money? Anything else I should be considering?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back