Replacement flat roof - warm or cold details?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace an existing flat roof that has reached the end of its life and is leaking. Its on an existing kitchen extension and currently has no insulation.

I'm looking at both warm and cold roof replacements but neither seems a straight forward solution. I marginally favour a warm roof simply because I believe them to be less prone to condensation and the complication of cabling and lights between the existing joists. But both warm and cold seem to come with complications.

Putting a warm roof on top of the existing joists would I think lead to very tall fascia's (ie to cover the height of both the existing joists and the insulation above). I've not seen any pictures or designs that show this. Is there a standard way of tackling this? The other complication is I think the flashing where the extension joins the main house will need to be raised.

For a cold roof I think the solution would need to be (working top down): waterproof layer, board, vent space, insulation within existing joists, extra insulation below joists, vapour barrier, void for cables, plasterboard. This inevitably means the ceiling would need to be lowered.

Any comments or advice on these options and the issue tall fascia board very welcome.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back