Warm roof VPC location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

I'm putting 50mm of kingspan tp10 between the 8x2 rafters, 18mm ply ontop of the rafters then 100mm of kingspan tr27 on top of that.

Confused as to where the Vapour control barrier should go. I guess on the underside of the tp10 between the joists. The only type of VPC that would work properly in this setup would be the tar backed foil self adhesive stuff!

Any thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, that insulation set up seems like a mix of cold roof and warm roof..... The VCL should go on the warm side. Having your set up limits this somewhat.

Why not go traditional warm roof setup and have 120mm of Kingspan on top of the deck - nothing in between the joists? That way you can just put the VCL in between the deck and the insulation.

the theory says warm side as a rule of thumb. However for you it's a little harder due to the insulation value of the timber. I'm guessing it will be minimal and won't take it down to the dew point, but the official way to check would be a condensation risk analysis on your buildup..

This is called a hybrid warm roof, LBC do not normally like them as it confuses them.
They do work however you have to be mind full of the condensation risk, your vcl should be a plaster board level however any down lighters, speakers etc will puncture this.
You can use rockwool etc in between the joists.

Sponsored Links
Vcl stapled to underside of rafters between plasterboard.

Presuming this is a flat roof, so has joists not rafters, then the vapour barrier goes between the deck and the insulation above it. The insulation below the deck makes no difference to the vapour barrier location in this type of design.

General opinion is that the vcl goes on the warm side of the insulation, but if the insulation is in two layers, the vcl should go under the thicker layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back