Warm Roof with bare tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heaving skimmed through a number of posts none seem to quite fit my project.
I have a 1930's roof which has tiles and nothing else - no membrane or felt.
I want to make it a warm roof.
I was planning on putting 50mm celotex or similar between the rafters and then 100mm over the top across the rafters. taping all the seams.

Do I need to include a breathable membrane anywhere in this ?
Is 50mm of airgap between the insulation and the bare tiles enough ?

I am worried that I will create a nice warm roof that will end up a warm but rotting roof with condensation.

Sponsored Links
You should also consider that you would require planning permission to raise the ridge. Also, what advantage do you envisage with such a roof make-up? That's not to say there is anything wrong with a warm pitched roof per se, just curious.

Yes, use breathable membrane.

True 'warm roofs' do not require cross ventilation.

You would normally fix the insulation, membrane, then fix counter-battens before fixing the roofing battens thus automatically creating an air gap'

Sponsored Links
I want to make it a warm roof.
I was planning on putting 50mm celotex or similar between the rafters and then 100mm over the top across the rafters. taping all the seams.

The way that reads he intends using 100mm as an underdraw ...

Thanks all for your comments.

Sorry for the delay in replying - the joys of DIY plus the day job.

So - I am planning on doing this because I have already insulated the floor, but am facing issues storing things in the loft due to slight damp and at the moment very cold.

I don't want to re-roof - so I am rather stuck with the bare tiles, then baton, then rafter construction that is in place.

I have uploaded two images that might make it clearer. I was planning on something like in the second image where I have a thinner section of insulation between the rafters so as to maintain an air-gap behind. Then a thicker sheet over the top.

At the apex I will construct a frame so that the air can flow from one side of the roof to the other with a void left at the top.

The only place I could think of putting a membrane ( if required ) would be between the two sections of insulation.

[/img]

I suppose one additional question would be - am I calling it the correct thing ?
Is it a warm roof that I am trying to achieve or is there another term for this kind of insulating project ?

A warm roof is when the insulation is placed above the rafters.

You can increase the depth of the rafters by adding additional straps to the underside, then you can fit the 100mm insulation between then 50mm beneath.

You dont need a breathable membrane anywhere in your set up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back