Warm water only in the shower and bath but hot elsewhere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, Big problems with my Crosswater thermostatic mixer unit. Need some help please.

No matter how far I turn my heat dial up I only get warm water through. My kitchen tap works fine however and the water comes out red hot/ice cold on demand.

The unit in question is like this.....

http://www.smrbathrooms.co.uk/acatalog/Kai-lever-thermostatic-shower-valve-Chrome-Crosswater-2.html

.....bath conrol on the left, shower control on the right and universal temperature control in the middle.

I have removed the back plate and tried shutting down the non return valves to test flow. I have shut down the cold completely, giving me nice hot water but now cold. s soon as I turn the cold non return back on the water turns to warm. It seems to me there could be a difference in flow between the cold in and hot in and the cold is pushing the hot out of the way. But the problem is a recent one and happened suddenly after one shower and before another.

Any ideas on what this could be and more importantly how to fix it would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of water heater/boiler do you have. Do you have a cold water storage tank in the loft?

Sponsored Links
This problem is usually because the thermostatic showers always mix some cold water with the hot to prevent scalding. Sometimes this seems to be just the design or sometimes because its not working inside correctly.

First though you need to measure the flow rate through the shower. The combi boiler can only provide about 10 litres per minute so dont expect to get more at the shower.

Everything hinges on the flow rate so measuring that first is essential.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back