wash mac hot+cold feed vs cold only feed- discussion, argument, debate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ongoing argument with someone who shall remain nameless.... suffice to say she is the most awkward and picky customer in the world, but I shall concede... the most patient. After all, I fitted our well overdue replacement kitchen over 3 months ago and I still haven't grouted the countertop tiles, fitted the bi-fold door to beneath the stairs and I am quite sure, that there is something else that I have overlooked; but I am sure that I will in due course be made well aware of it.
Replaced wash mac dryer today. It had that started to trip out the electrics whenever on drying mode about 2 months ago and then, today, totally went mental whenever turned on to wash only.
We have an arrangement with our combined gas and lecky supplier; free lecky 9am to 5 pm on Sundays. So, all of the washing and drying is done on Sunday within set time perameters. Washing is hung out to dry on the line and chucked inside the separate tumble dryer in "daddy's lock up".
The replacement wash mac (not a w/m dryer) was fitted. Unlike the faulty pre-cursor (cursing apt..... rude words not included so use your imaginations) only had a cw feed, unlike the "dodgy" 1 that I'd taken out that had a hot and cold.
Wifey is adament that the old washer (dhw/cw) did not use the combi to create a DHW feed. She stated, "The light on the boiler (Ideal Logic) never went on when I put the old machine on, it only works off electricity only" So, I must be labouring under the misapprehension that installing a cw feed only wash mac and running it when we get free lecky is not as efficient as a combined DHW/CW wash mac. After all, neither use the boiler to create DHW for the whiter than white washes.
Now the problem is that the new cw only wash mac takes 2 hours to run thru a 40 deg cycle and the old one onnly took 90 mins.
Again I tried to explain that the water going in is currently at approx 16 Deg C and that the heater inside will have to heat to 40 deg c on fill, wash, rinse and so it would obviously take longer.
"No! the new washer isn't as good and its getting near 5 o'clock cut off for free lecky, so this will be the last wash". Suppose my mucky dust sheets and work clothes will have to be worn for another week.
Have I gone mad? Or have I been labouring under the misapprehension that the old hot and cold feeds to a wash mac.... that the wash mac hose with the blue nuts as opposed to the red nuts, serves no purpose what-so-ever?

Sponsored Links
If the old machine was correctly plumbed into the H&C feeds then it would have had a hot fill - your 'client' (I have a similar one!) may not have noticed the boiler fire up as it would have only been on for a few minutes. if it was only filling with cold water then it may be due to a lower wattage heating element - new one has a less powerful heating element?

Either way round your client (if sh'e like mine) will always be right so there's no point in debating with her.

Even if you are right then you will regret it for a long long time :(

I have an ongoing argument with someone who shall remain nameless.... suffice to say she is the most awkward and picky customer in the world, but I shall concede... the most patient. After all, I fitted our well overdue replacement kitchen over 3 months ago and I still haven't grouted the countertop tiles, fitted the bi-fold door to beneath the stairs and I am quite sure, that there is something else that I have overlooked; but I am sure that I will in due course be made well aware of it.
Replaced wash mac dryer today. It had that started to trip out the electrics whenever on drying mode about 2 months ago and then, today, totally went mental whenever turned on to wash only.
We have an arrangement with our combined gas and lecky supplier; free lecky 9am to 5 pm on Sundays. So, all of the washing and drying is done on Sunday within set time perameters. Washing is hung out to dry on the line and chucked inside the separate tumble dryer in "daddy's lock up".
The replacement wash mac (not a w/m dryer) was fitted. Unlike the faulty pre-cursor (cursing apt..... rude words not included so use your imaginations) only had a cw feed, unlike the "dodgy" 1 that I'd taken out that had a hot and cold.
Wifey is adament that the old washer (dhw/cw) did not use the combi to create a DHW feed. She stated, "The light on the boiler (Ideal Logic) never went on when I put the old machine on, it only works off electricity only" So, I must be labouring under the misapprehension that installing a cw feed only wash mac and running it when we get free lecky is not as efficient as a combined DHW/CW wash mac. After all, neither use the boiler to create DHW for the whiter than white washes.
Now the problem is that the new cw only wash mac takes 2 hours to run thru a 40 deg cycle and the old one onnly took 90 mins.
Again I tried to explain that the water going in is currently at approx 16 Deg C and that the heater inside will have to heat to 40 deg c on fill, wash, rinse and so it would obviously take longer.
"No! the new washer isn't as good and its getting near 5 o'clock cut off for free lecky, so this will be the last wash". Suppose my mucky dust sheets and work clothes will have to be worn for another week.
Have I gone mad? Or have I been labouring under the misapprehension that the old hot and cold feeds to a wash mac.... that the wash mac hose with the blue nuts as opposed to the red nuts, serves no purpose what-so-ever?

FFS all this hassle to save a little electric :confused: and as for having to wear your dirty work ware for another week and mucky bed sheets to save a couple of pence , PLEASE !!!

Hot and cold fill machines normally only use the hot when a 60°+ cycle is selected.
That might be why she's never noticed it?

Sponsored Links
yes dependent on machine hot/mixed fill will only happen on 60+%
i used to fill my machine via a hose from the tap to save using the electric eliment indeed it was never used on the old machine as the machine would be at or over the selected temperature
with my new machine cold fill only i chose to monitor the electric consumption during a 40% wash and the total for a 40% 60 min[65] wash with a 1600 spin speed was little more than 1kw with a possible saving off perhaps 2-3p using hot water over cold fill
i decided it wasnt worth the effort or mess having to connect/disconnect a hose and waste time monitoring to save 2p
indeed the 1600 spin speed means the average full mixed wash will wash and dry in a tumble for around 30p total with around 1.3units in each so around 2.6 units
and my dryer will run and stop when the moisture level drops you remove man made first time light natural second time medium natural next time and all else aqfter about the fourth time
indeed nylon on a 1600 spin speed will be virtually dry

Brilliant! Thanks for your comments and contributions. Particularly you, Big-all. Are you available to come round and undertake a full energy efficiency audit on our house. I'll ask the treasurer. I'm sure that she will extend the same generous terms of renumeration for your efforts as she extends to me. "I'll sort you out when all of the work is complete"
If a womans work is never done, pity the husband.... cos she will always find you something else to add to your "to do" list.

sounds like a hard time in your house loafer :cool:
as the reward in your house seems to be more work and nagging so will give it a miss thanks :LOL:

Well, after a full day of ply-lining and tiling a bathroom floor and replacing the ceramicware, planing down n rehainging the door, trimming the bath panel etc. I returned to notre maison to hang the new bi-fold door to the understair cubby, grouted the countertop tiles and as luck would have it... allo my dust sheets and work clothes have been washed!!!! But I can't use the dryer coz it costs £ and it's just started to rain. So instead of watching paint dry I am watching trouz n sheets dry in daddy's lock up/office/play pen. Oh well, could it get worse? I've got a poo chute to rod tomorrow... where's my paper masks and Vicks Synex? Cest la vie! Thanks for the comments folks!!

i would be surprized if it costs more than 20 or 25p to dry a full well spun load
as i say mine uses about 13 or 14p per dry but that does include sorting and restarting the tumble removing the dry stuff at each stage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back