wash nicotin stained ceilings before priming????

LLG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone used the Dulux trade alkali resisting primer to prime a nicotin stained Artex ceiling?
This is what dulux have recommended to me to use though they cannot give me a definate answer to whether it needs to be washed first??????
Trying to do a quote for a customer and don't know whether I should wash it first and cover my back or to just use a solvent based primer straight onto it without washing it? Washing it with sugar soap is gonna be a pig and take ages as its the fan effect artex design and its a 20ft long ceiling and obviously trying to keep costs down but want to make sure its not gonna bleed through! And then if I wash it will it still need priming???
Any ideas please?????

Sponsored Links
I agree with you. Solvent based primer or undercoat.

The reason they gave you that answer was they were afraid to commit themselves, simple truth is it could work yet on the other hand it might not.

Nicotine is one of the harder substances to seal, the more you remove of it the better your chances. I realise doing so will be a daunting task and it would be far easier just to paint over it.

The Artex pattern you describe is really called the circle, it only produces the fan effect by cutting through the circle with the comb. The best way of removing the nicotine with sugar soap on this type of substrate is to brush it on and wipe it off with rags,. when done just wipe down with clean warm water, and remember you don't have to remove it all.

Dec.

Oil based undercoat!!! couple of coats max,,,, smelly stuff, but open the windows, no problems at all.

Sponsored Links
hey Roughcaster. I was going to thank you but you are two ahead of me. So I won't. :LOL:

Iv'e used Dulux "All seasons" masonry paint many times to good effect as well in the same circumstances. Bit more expensive, but works well and dries quick.

Hi guys thanks for all your really useful answers shouldnt of bothered phoning dulux I'll just come straight here next time!!!!!!
Great news that I don't have to wash it all off (thanks TheDec) :D that was the bit that was getting to me! I'll just give it a quick wash over so the paint sticks and I think Im gonna try the zinsser stain stop suppose to be the business solvent based and dries in 2 hours expensive though I've been told its worth the money!!!!

Hi guys thanks for all your really useful answers shouldnt of bothered phoning dulux I'll just come straight here next time!!!!!!
Great news that I don't have to wash it all off (thanks TheDec) :D that was the bit that was getting to me! I'll just give it a quick wash over so the paint sticks and I think Im gonna try the zinsser stain stop suppose to be the business solvent based and dries in 2 hours expensive though I've been told its worth the money!!!!

Iv'e used http://www.zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.aspx?cId=130&pgId=357
Thro a hevvvey smokers house with just a light wipe over with a damp sponge (amonia in water) just to get the dusty film off. Exellent, almost odourless, can thin with white spirit and good on water stains too.

The 123 does'ent work on nicotine or water stains

Used to use cheap undercoat as joe & R/Caster say. but odour was a problem on this particular job.

good luck.

Iv'e used Dulux "All seasons" masonry paint many times to good effect as well in the same circumstances. Bit more expensive, but works well and dries quick.

Hmmm sounds good Robbie.. that stuff never occured to me .

I have come across the problem before, a few times actually, but bear Artex...so washing the nicotine off is really out of the window..

So, I mixed some PVA (can be used to seal tar based products) with white vinyl matt emulsion and added about 15% water for the first one, allowed to dry properly overnight..a good 24 hours and then gave it straight coat of emulsion to finish...

No smell...worked a treat and is still fine...cheaper than All Seasons too..and no chance of it yellowing due to the heat.

I have come across the problem before, a few times actually, but bear Artex...so washing the nicotine off is really out of the window..

So, I mixed some PVA (can be used to seal tar based products) with white vinyl matt emulsion and added about 15% water for the first one, allowed to dry properly overnight..a good 24 hours and then gave it straight coat of emulsion to finish...

No smell...worked a treat and is still fine...cheaper than All Seasons too..and no chance of it yellowing due to the heat.

You posted that once before and I tried it - and it worked.

BTW - Where the heck have to been?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back