wash nicotin stained ceilings before priming????

I did same, with pva following Zampa's tip. and it did work..
Hiya Zampa :LOL: :D

Sponsored Links
I have come across the problem before, a few times actually, but bear Artex...so washing the nicotine off is really out of the window..

So, I mixed some PVA (can be used to seal tar based products) with white vinyl matt emulsion and added about 15% water for the first one, allowed to dry properly overnight..a good 24 hours and then gave it straight coat of emulsion to finish...

No smell...worked a treat and is still fine...cheaper than All Seasons too..and no chance of it yellowing due to the heat.

You posted that once before and I tried it - and it worked.

BTW - Where the heck have to been?

Of course it worked...it came straight from 'the master' lololol :evil: ;)

I dont bother with this site now really...too many people not bothering to utter a word of thanks for all the hard work and advice from the regulars here..

I only popped on because I got a notification of a few older thread had been replied to..one going back 4 years!...there were some interesting questions though and I couldnt resist!

Nice to see some of the old faces (ok nicknames) including yourself Joe are still around though :)

Hello Jon...how you doing mate?..

Good ta Zampa. Turned over a buisier year than I tht. Slowing down a bit now though, but could do with a rest anyhow ;)

Sponsored Links
One way to solve this is to use a quick drying paint as some previous posts mention, try acrylic eggshell as it dries superfast! you still need to wash down surfaces, silk and gloss finishes this is easy but vinyl matt absorbs nicotine deep into the finish and is nigh on impossible to wash down. this video shows acrylic eggshell paint being used, hope this helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_wXYADMnCk

One way to solve this is to use a quick drying paint as some previous posts mention, try acrylic eggshell as it dries superfast! you still need to wash down surfaces, silk and gloss finishes this is easy but vinyl matt absorbs nicotine deep into the finish and is nigh on impossible to wash down. this video shows acrylic eggshell paint being used, hope this helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_wXYADMnCk[/QUOTE]

Sorry Instone I don't agree.. Acrylic eggshell won't block nicotine.

Learnt that years ago~~to my cost :cry:

Zampa...so your saying it's not necessary to use oil based undercoat to cover nicotine stains..am I reading this right ? You just use the PVA etc., as you insructed ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back