Washer / Drier tripping house electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got a new Hotpoint washer drier a couple of years ago. After a few months it started tripping the house electrics when it went into drier mode. We could reset the trip switch and it would carry on drying. It may have got worse, or we ('she') just stopped using the drier part.
Today however, the washer is tripping the electrics after just a few seconds. I suspected water inside (after a frozen pipe caused the waste pipe to fly off) but the whole machine is bone dry, inside and out, and looks brand new.
Is this likely to be a PCB problem? If so are they expensive to replace? I just want some idea of how much it will cost to repair as we are considering just scrapping it and getting a new one. It would be a shame, but I'd rather buy a new cheapy then pay £200+ for a repair only for it to break down again.

Sponsored Links
Check the heater on the top poss shorting out. Remove the lid and it's in front of you it's got 2 hex nuts on it. You can take the two wires of and tape them up see if it still trips. Cost of new heater 30 quid plenty of posts on here about it with pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back