washer-dryer - changed brushes now erratic spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Hoping you can help.
Have got a washer-dryer (Hoover Performa 1100 WA110-001) that is now getting on for 10 yrs old.
Had just started making a funny noise during spin, then stopped spinning altogether.
After reading a few posts, checked out the brushes and they were indeed worn.
In fact the noise I had started to hear was actually arcing from one of the carbon brushes.I ran it for a bit with the back off, then could see. Stopped it quick.
Adjusted the brushes (as they seemed sticking as bit) and we did another wash last night. All fine. No more arcing & spinning etc fine.

Got new brushes today regardless and fitted tonight. They were genuine Hoover spares and from inspection look identical, so I'm sure they're the right part.
However, when I used the washer after fitting them, during any spin, it seems to accelerate, reduce, accelerate, reduce etc and does it about 3 times then slows to a stop and no more. It has another go later in the wash cycle, but same result.
Let it finish then took the wet washing out (had a go, but not spun properly at the end also).

So then I tried some spin cycles with no load.

Still performs the same way - can hear the acceleration/deceleration then stops after a couple of tries. :confused:

Do brushes take time to wear in? (I'm suspecting not, or new washers would take a while to get going!).

But I don't think I fitted anything wrong or reconnected anything wrong.
Both brushes are identical - don't think they can go wrong way round. The spade connectors woudn't reach to the wrong sides of the motor.

Very mystified!
Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Brushes can indeed be put in the wrong way.

There are left and right handed brushes and alot of motors have the mounting holes for both types but you should only fit the right ones and in the original mounting holes.

The speeding up and slowing down and refusal to spin could be caused by a faulty tacho on the motor, although this generally will give you an error and affects all motor operation.

Brushes can indeed be put in the wrong way.

There are left and right handed brushes and alot of motors have the mounting holes for both types but you should only fit the right ones and in the original mounting holes.

The speeding up and slowing down and refusal to spin could be caused by a faulty tacho on the motor, although this generally will give you an error and affects all motor operation.

Thanks for the prompt response.

I still have the previous brushes, so am tempted to put them back on tomorrow night to double check.
The run last night was fine - so was hoping it was more something I'd done tonight :oops:
Will make sure if there are more than one set of mounting holes.

Are washers ok to go onto their back for repair ? (power off etc)
The motor is under the drum, so tilted back to gain access. Not easy. Would be much easier with better access and lighting to make sure I'm fitting right.

To be honest I tip the machine back against a wall or remove the back of Hoovers and take the motor off, this enables me to check the commutator for wear or damage as well.

Sponsored Links
might be worth checking new brushes are not sticking. sometimes a gentle sanding on the narrow edge enables a smooth slide up and down the holder

Thanks for the tips.

Further developments....

Changed the older brushes back on - same speed up/slow down :(

Read a few posts on tacho stuff and a few said it can get a bit loose - so had a closer look at it.
All seemed intact (nothing obvious), but ensured all electrical wires were secure, all bits were secure etc.

Then put it on to a spin, and all worked ok :confused: :D

Pleased, but not convinced all is well! Loose wires common on these things or just random fault?

Probably keep the new brushes to one side and if it starts arcing again, will have another go at changing them.
For now, tempted to let sleeping dogs lie!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back