Washer\dryer doing my head in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Zanussi washer\dryer.

A month or so ago it stopped draining properly. After clearing out the waste pipe (at one point water was coming back up the waste pipe and flooding the kitchen) and checking for other blockages it turned out to be the pump. I bought a new Zanussi approved pump and replaced it. For the last 3 weeks it has performed fine.

This weekend it has started not draining properly again. On Sunday I put some pipe unblocking liquid down the waste pipe and also ran the washing machine with the waste pipe in the kitchen sink - this programme worked fine.

Come home tonight to the wife moaning that the towels were still soaking wet after the final spin and water still in the bottom of the drum :(

I am at a loss as to what to try next. Wife is wanting a new washing machine.

Can anyone please offer some advice. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I will check the filter.

Its just odd that sticking the hose in the sink works.

Sponsored Links
not the filter thats ok, sink trap needs unblocking.

not the filter thats ok, sink trap needs unblocking.

I did take the waste pipe apart and clean it out. That was 3 weeks ago, surely it hasn't got blocked again in that time?

depends if the sink has blocked it ,does anyone admit to chucking rice /peas /sweetcorn etc down the sink.

as rocks1 says

at the end of the washer cycle the waste pipe is inserted in water causing suction to syphon the water back ito the machine.

do you have a connection in the u bend under the sink for the washers waste pipe or do you just put the washers waste hose into a vertical waste pipe under the worktop .

if you are option 2 of the above paragraph then make sure the pipe is not pushed all the way down, half way is enough

it is unlikely a fault with the washer
to prove it , make sure that if you are option 1 in the previous paragraph that you block the hole you r pipe came from, then just hold the washer waste pipe over the sink,
run the washer on a rinse cycle only , let the water go down the sink. see if you get a blocked plug hole.

washing will be dry and hopefully lead you to the block

The washing hose goes into a vertical waster pipe located under a worktop. The pipe for this goes out through a wall into the downstairs loo and joins the main waste pipe there.

If I run the machine on rinse only and hold the hose over the sink everything drains fine. The dishwasher which IS connected to the sink waste pipe has had no issues draining.

I take your point about the hose being too far down the vertical waste pipe and will see if I can get it nearer the top. Bit difficult though as being behind the machine its impossible to get at once the machine is pushed back in.

Nice one. Will purchase and give it a go.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips and advice. :)

Nice one. Will purchase and give it a go.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips and advice. :)
it definetlry sounds like a blockage between ur sink,does not sound like a blockage in the washingmachine,so if u do go and buy a new machine u will have the same problem

Received the hose attachment yesterday and fitted it so that the hose is about 2 inches inside the top of the waste pipe.

Have now done 3 washes and no problems at all. :)

Cheers guys :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back