WASHER DRYER NO LONGER DRYING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Indesit WD12S Washer Dryer has stopped drying. The drum spins round and it works it's way through the programmes as it should, but it doesn't seem to get hot during the drying sequence.

Now I'm no expert but to me this doesn't sound like anything too bad, maybe a thermostat gone? The question is, is this something I can change myself, where could I get parts from and how would I identify the thermostat (if it is that)?

Any advice/comments muchly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it probably is the stat that has gone, BUT the question is why.
may i suggest you read this

Thank you for your reply Breezer, I had already read your suggestions whilst browsing the forum for any related threads. I have been through all your suggested stages and am at the juncture where I have to decide whether to get somebody in or attempt to fix it myself, hence the question.

Does a stat not deteriorate or break down of its own accord?

Is it not worth a try at replacing the thermostat before I get somebody in?

no. as i said why did it trip.

it may be the heater "area" is full of fluff causing the heater to over heat, changing the stat will only be of no use since it will go again, or if it is fluff, it may well catch fire.

it could also be the fan, wrong speed not running,

it could be the condensor

it could be the...............

you see my point? there are so many could be's that unless you know what you are looking for you wont have a clue.

also you have to know how to take them apart, (more to the point how to put them back together)

why not call indesit, get one of their guys out, you can get an independant, but all too often they do not use genuine parts, and sometimes "cure the disease not the cause"

I have even seen one that fitted a wrong door seal to a m/c (the manucfacturer modified it slightly and the engineers manual was upgraded acordingly, but that costs, which most independants dont worry about, the manuals cost a fortune (so i was told)

for what its worth i hate washer driers

you can only dry half the load you washed, they dry differently,take twice as long (because only dry half the load) and from an engineers pov there is more to (and often did) go wrong

Sponsored Links
I see. What you are saying makes perfect sense, perhaps i'll seek the advice of Indesit.

I thank you for your time Breezer.

And for what it's worth, I hate them too. They don't dry your clothes at all as well as a sperate Dryer and mine (when it worked) seemed to make the clothes more creased then physically possible. The Iron was no match for those creases. Well that's what the wife tells me, perhaps she just used the Washer/Dryer as an excuse to do bad ironing!

greenep said:
I thank you for your time Breezer.
:D

for what its worth a washer dryer works by blowing air over an element, into the drum, picking up moisture.
this air then runs up a condenser (separte wall has cold water running down to condense) then it starts again

tumble dryer sucks in air from its suroundings, heats it, blows it into drum, then away down big white vent pipe to the big open world, so it uses dry air, not damp as a washer dryer does

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back