Washer or barrel for this tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just called his hot water tap wont turn off
so I talked him through isolating the tap - hes about 2hrs away - so
will be going up in morning - see what i can do / replace
any idea what the washer / barrel may be - I assume i may just need to remove and replace - hopefully not more complicated then that

any suggestions welcome

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-10-11 at 4.41.29 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-11 at 4.41.29 PM.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
It will be a washer, not sure what you mean by barrel, but Andy’s suggestion might be the best option.

Last edited:
Thanks both - for the fast replies
It will be a washer, nit sure what you mean by barrel,
Barrel - Mean the mechanism - brass part - sorry using wrong term
I have loads of assorted washers - just thought it maybe the brash section that turns the washer up/down was broken

@HERTS P&D
Thanks =
I saw the screwfix - items - but i was not sure if they are bath or basin - talks about 2 sizes
Sold in pairs. ½" for basin taps, ¾" for bath taps.

Your link goes to the (12204) - so i assume that will fit the kitchen mixer OK ???

Looked at both part numbers -
(12204) and (19163) both say bath

This is on a kitchen mixer tap, so not sure which part to get

Ok, just reading through all the Q&A - and in there same question and says (19163) is bath so hopefuly the link is kitchen
I'll pick those up tomorrow
unless i get a reply here

Placed the order , click and collect at a store on my way up - as they only had 2 in stock - and as its 2 hours away - did not want them sold -

Thanks ALL - Hopefully the old ones will come out OK !!!!!!

I'll let you know how i got on

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
will be going up in morning - see what i can do / replace
any idea what the washer / barrel may be - I assume i may just need to remove and replace - hopefully not more complicated then that

I would take along a tap refurbish kit, to be sure of fixing it, plus a set of tap washers. Can you get them on 'sale or return'?

hi, site went down and edited last post at the time
whats a tap refurbish kit,
I have loads of washers of various sizes i will take up

As suggested by @HERTS P&D I have ordered the part on collect from screwfix gives 30 days to return and refund
Not sure if they have a tap refurbish kit, tried a search , not found at toolstation , screwfix, which i pass by on the way - wickes is also nearby

hi, site went down and edited last post at the time
whats a tap refurbish kit,
I have loads of washers of various sizes i will take up

As suggested by @HERTS P&D I have ordered the part on collect from screwfix gives 30 days to return and refund
Not sure if they have a tap refurbish kit, tried a search , not found at toolstation , screwfix, which i pass by on the way - wickes is also nearby

It's the same thing, different name is all.

cool, thanks for taking the time to reply
Hopefully the old ones will come out OK and these will fit - otherwise i guess i'm going down to a local plumbing supplies with the parts and see what they can do - or replace the whole tap assembly - hopefully standard 180 centers unlike my bath taps which are 200 - and replacements difficult!!!!!!
oh well thanks all

I'm not sure if the screwfix items are washes or some sort of ceramic replacement

Thanks again to everyone for the support and advice
In the end I found the washer was oversized and had Split and stuck in the tap body - very oversized - larger then th ebody hole - so must have been changed many years ago , before my son purchased the flat - maybe 8years ago ish

Fitted a new one and all worked fine

The cold tap did not have an isolator and had to turn all the water off - so in the end decided to leave that for now

The screwfix parts looked excellent, and i was considering just changing the lot while there , but bottled out because of the cold tap issue - and only had a couple of hours due to other commitments , so took those back for a refund on my way home

So may do that another day

Anyway , again thanks for all the support and links

Last edited:
In the end I found the washer was oversized and had Split and stuck in the tap body - very oversized
That's usually down to everyone that uses the tap overtightening it to turn it off and it over compresses the washer. Eventually the washer swells to such a size that it gets caught in the body and splits and then the tap fails to shut off

Reactions: CBW
That's usually down to everyone that uses the tap overtightening it to turn it off and it over compresses the washer. Eventually the washer swells to such a size that it gets caught in the body and splits and then the tap fails to shut off

Usually the hot tap, because the hot taps can sometimes continue to drip as due to expansion, even if turned of - so the operator give them an extra tighten. I have replaired the kitchen sink hot tap four times due to that over tightening to stop the drips :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back