Brass tap for oak barrel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm converting an old whisky barrel into an ice bath. I'd like to add a brass tap to the bottom so I can drain it to refresh the water.

I was hoping to use a standard brass garden tap like this but could do with some advice on what connector I need so I can secure it to the barrel. Presumably some kind of compression coupler with washers inside and out?

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If long enough I would be thinking of a tank connector:

With a bush or socket outside the barrell:

I would use a spade bit as big as the nuts on both sealing faces so there was a flat piece for the washers to seal against.

If long enough I would be thinking of a tank connector:

With a bush or socket outside the barrell:

I would use a spade bit as big as the nuts on both sealing faces so there was a flat piece for the washers to seal against.
Thanks, so I understand this correctly the connectivity would be like this?....

Compression Tank Connector 3/4" Male > Bush/Socket < Outside Tap 1/2" Male

Does this mean the Bush or Socket needs to be a 3/4" female one end and 1/2" female the other end?

just a thought

the barrel may not be water tight even when soaked so worth checking before expending too much effort or money ??

Thanks, so I understand this correctly the connectivity would be like this?....

Compression Tank Connector 3/4" Male > Bush/Socket < Outside Tap 1/2" Male

Does this mean the Bush or Socket needs to be a 3/4" female one end and 1/2" female the other end?
I think @RayCaister had the best idea tbh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back