Connecting an outside tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing tap (brass) leaks and has been there for about 20 years and resisted all efforts to disassemble it to replace washer etc. It has a 22mm (?) male thread inlet and is connected to the plastic supply pipe by a screw fitting female adaptor.
My new tap has the same inlet connection but is 15mm (?) so I purchased a Brass Compression Reducing Coupler 22 x 15mm . My plan was to connect the to the plastic outlet, short piece of pipe and compression joint on the tap. As I've found out, and you probably already have guessed 22mm brass won't fit into 22mm plastic - so what do I need to overcome this impasse. TIA, Colin

Sponsored Links
New tap will be 1/2 inch BSP thread.
Your old one is likely to be 3/4 in BSP.
Can you show pics of the fitting that you are trying to put tap into ?

Looks like a 15 mm plastic pipe coming out through the wall. Remove the fitting that's on it. Connect a 15 mm elbow ( pointing downward). Connect your length of copper to it ,and connect to the copper , a" compression wall plate elbow" ( which you will have to buy). Your tap screws into the wall plate elbow ( after wrapping copious amounts of PTFE tape around the taps thread)
Screwfix code 92934 is the wall plate elbow as an example.

Sponsored Links
My existing tap (brass) leaks and has been there for about 20 years and resisted all efforts to disassemble it to replace washer etc. It has a 22mm (?) male thread inlet and is connected to the plastic supply pipe by a screw fitting female adaptor.
My new tap has the same inlet connection but is 15mm (?) so I purchased a Brass Compression Reducing Coupler 22 x 15mm . My plan was to connect the to the plastic outlet, short piece of pipe and compression joint on the tap. As I've found out, and you probably already have guessed 22mm brass won't fit into 22mm plastic - so what do I need to overcome this impasse. TIA, Colin
Presumably the new tap won't just screw in in place of the old one (or you wouldn't be posting!). Is the 22mm male on the existing the dia over the threads? cos that is roughly the figure for 1/2"BSP male. If the existing one is 3/4"BSP you should be able to get an adaptor 3/4"BSPM x 1/2"BSPF. As terryplumb said, your new tap will be 1/2"BSPM.

Terry, thanks for your reply. You say connect a 15mm elbow pointing down to the 15mm plastic pipe coming out of the wall, would be a plastic elbow or a brass compression type or some other type of fitment?

Either compression or push fit elbow would do ,but a push fit is more likely to clear the wood batten ( only because it's bulkier and will come out further from the wall) . A bit like the plastic elbow that's there now ,which ,if that is 15mm at the bottom ,would suffice .Not sure ,but your pic looks like the elbow on the pipe end is 15 mm ,but other end is 22 mm ??

Am I right in thinking then that a push fit elbow works just the same on 15 mm copper as it does on 15 mm plastic? If so problem solved.

Yes ,but the plastic pipe has to have an insert ( called a pipe stiffener) inside it.
Copper pipe needs to be cut with a wheel cutter preferably ,to ensure it has no jagged edges to damage the rubber seal when pipe is inserted into fitting.
And of course the fitting has to be for 15 mm !!

That link doesn't work ? Anyway ,your plastic pipe coming out the wall should already have a stiffener in it already ,and as you are using copper ,copper doesn't need one ??

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 167
Yes that's one type of insert ,it's best practice to use pipe stiffeners from the same manufacturer that makes the plastic pipe. As they are made to match. No guarantee that the INTERNAL diameter of 15 mm plastic pipe is the same from one brand to another.
Bit weird about the link ,just tried again and it just brings up Wickes ,B&Q and a few other names :mad::mad::mad:. Anyway could see your screenshot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back