Washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My first post here.

Edit: I'm having a problem with my washing machine filling my sink up when it empties. It only fills just over the plug hole, then drains a few seconds later very quickly.

I'm having the same problem as above. I previously had a trap looking like a 'W' with the first hole used for washing machine drain, second for sink drain, and third connected to waste pipe. I replaced the 'W' for a u-bend trap with spigot for washing machine, but now when the machine empties it fills the sink a little, then drains straight away (so I guess it's to do with the water pressure, not a blockage). Previously the 'W' connection had a 6 inch piece of pipe connecting it to the sink, so it was low down, but when I replaced it I got rid of the six inch piece as the u-bend has a three inch bit that the spigot is on. Would that make the spigot too close to the sink?

How do I go about fitting a stand pipe? Can I connect it to the current waste pipe? I can't access my waste from the outside since as far as I'm aware, it goes into the wall and (possibly) joins next door's drain in a gully or something...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Really? Apologies n all that, obviously rules are needed. But I'm recycling a post that hasn't been read in 2 years, but just adding an additional query. Isn't that so much more user friendly and economical in terms of searches, bandwidth and everything?

Then you have more information in less threads?

Anyway, no matter, thanks for directing me to the rules.

its called hi jacking, it also causes more confusion than it solves.

but back to your Q

are you using a spiggot on the main sink for your washer to connect to?

Those spigots aren't always a good solution, what you're finding is very common.
WHat you basically need is for the waste waters to fall a good distance before they join the other wastes, so nothing comes back up.
A standpipe would obviously spearate things, but usually the problem is with the heights, and the lack of space under there.
It doesn't seem to matter that water comes up a bit, but it's not nice, I agree!

Sponsored Links
Hey, thanks for replies.

Yes I'm using a spigot on a p-trap, so the spigot is only a couple of inches below the sink whereas before it was at least six inches.

The problem I have is that the waste leading away from the sink is quite high and goes into the wall quite high, about six or seven inches below the sink base. So lowering the piping under the sink, and the spigot, will mean the wast has to travel up the pipe after the u-bend. Though I suppose that just means I have a trap with more water?

i hate spiggots.

the best solution is to have a separate stand pipe for your washer waste.

The problem with spiggots is as you have found, the washer water can not get away quick enough so comes up in the sink, but consider it the other way, when you empty the sink where do you suppose some of the sink water goes? (some times) yes it goes down the spiggot and into the washer

the other thing that can (not always) happen is the spiggot acts like a grabber, in that it grabs anything that passes, fluf tiny lumps etc. over time this can casue your spiggot to get blocked. (i have seen it happen) i will also admit it is worse with a washer dryer

Unfortunately since the waste goes into the wall, and into my (rather shoddily built) conservatory, I'm not sure where I could put a separate waste pipe. Suppose I could join it on to the other waste pipe? Although how long (vertiaclly) does a stand pipe need to be? If I'm joining it to the other waste, I may be able to make it a foot if it goes next to the sink...

depends where you measure it from.

ideally a stand pipe should be as tall as possible, with a u trap at the bottom.
I have seen some that are only say 10 inches tall, but the taller the better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back