Washers for Combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changed a diverter valve (on a sime boiler) at 8pm last night.

BUT...as it was a right pain to physically get to, I removed the water pump.
Now....On re-filling the system one (or even 2) joints leak on the pump...and I mean leak...it pours!!

Ok...just new washers (maybe)...but on a Sunday?!

Tried B and Q etc but can only get leather washers that size...and to be honest they don't seem 'exactly' the right size. The old ones...one snapped in half and I've cut the other one off as I just thought I would replace today.

Basically my query is..can I use the leather washers?...or wait to Wednesday and buy (fibre) from a proper plumbers.

Wife not happy....WHY did I start this?!

Any help gladly appreciated.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Why not buy the leather washers anyway then at least you can use the system until you can get the proper thing on Wednesday :)

Thanks for reply.
I think my worry is that because they don't seem exactly the right size and not fibre that they will leak like a sieve?

The main issue is that the whole system has to be drained (again) if the washers don't hold...which means a right mess!..again!

I am tempted to just try the leather washers as you say.

Should not have attempted this!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back