Why Do Fibre Washers On Potterton Performa Keep Leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post, hello to all.

Boiler = Performa 24 Eco HE combi

A few weeks ago, the fibre washer on the joint between the cold water inlet isolation valve (the top of the valve) and the boiler started leaking. A friend with some experience(!!) tried tightening the joint, but it was already tight, but still dripping. He then put some LSX on the fibre washer, which solved it.

This week, both the fibre washers on the flow isolator valve started leaking, although they were tight. Removing the valve and applying LSX was the only way to stop it again.

Are these fibre washers usually problematic?
Should all the other washers be LSXed, as I am worried one might start leaking when I am away for a while. Why has this suddenly started?

Sponsored Links
I'd say they weren't fitted properly; not tight enough, not clean enough, wrong type, take your pick.

at no point have you mentioned actually replacing the said washers! Replace them and you should have no more trouble. They will only be standard 1/2" or 3/4" available from any merchant or shed.

Sponsored Links
Who want to take a bet that the chap slapping lsx on these leaks is a BG guy

I think he did, but long before the 'Sid' days. Should I be worried by him using LSX? Is it a bodge? Will it cause problems?

He told me it doesn't set, so dismantling won't be a problem in the future. I'm now leak free, until something else springs!

Just unnecessary when a new washer would have done the job. No need for him to have bodged a repair, especially if he really is experienced.

Well the LSX DOES set !

I always put silicone grease on both sides of the washers to help them seal but NOT stick.

SOME of the CW inlet valves have a mismatch between the boiler part and the valve part and if over tightened can punch through the washer.

Other than that I have not experienced many failures but they should all be checked for tightness a couple of weeks after installation and on annual services. ( Whats that? )

Tony

I asked the same question 30yrs ago when i had my first steam leak :eek:

garrard, they used to make record decks [think thats right]

1" to sight glasses top.

depressurised examined and found a little piece of gasket on flange face.

everything has to be clean ;)

Garrard 301 and later the 401 were top of the range decks in the 50s and they employed 4500 staff in Swindon.

Later they produced the mass produced and cheap SP25 which were fitted to all the better record players.

I never liked or collected records and preferred tape! My mother had a few of the musical show LPs. though.

Tony

I've had the same problem but where the Isolation Valve fits into the screw thread of a Tap (2 weeks ago) & today where the Isolational Valve screws onto the plastic pipe leading to the Toilet.

The place is 4 years old & over the last 3 months I've had 4 such joins just suddenly Leaking (ie one day nothing, next day drip, drip drip).

What suddenly happens to these joints ? (Or the fibre washer.....although the one in the toilet looks OK I will replace it along with a filler with a metal threaded pipe.........sorry forget the name but it ened in "master")

Paul

Well the LSX DOES set !

I always put silicone grease on both sides of the washers to help them seal but NOT stick.

SOME of the CW inlet valves have a mismatch between the boiler part and the valve part and if over tightened can punch through the washer.

Other than that I have not experienced many failures but they should all be checked for tightness a couple of weeks after installation and on annual services. ( Whats that? )

Tony
Do you still go back after a couple of weeks to check your installs Agile?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back