Washing Machine connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to change the stop valves on the copper water pipes that connect to my washing machine hoses last night.

Problem is I have never done this before and I feel I have overtightened the nuts as the resistance on the spanner suddenly loosened. Probably went half to 3 quarters where according to a friend I should have stopped at a quarter turn.

I tried it though and there were no leaks. Should I now leave well alone as it seems to be ok?

What damage have I done to the connection and will this will cause problems in the future? Im guessing I may have split the olive possibly ?

Could the water pressure for instance force the connection off at some future point which would be obvious worse case scenario.

Is it possible / feasible to have these fitting soldered on by a plumber?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Does sound a bit dodgy. The olive doesnt usually split though. Sounds more like the nut has stripped the thread or it might have gone on cross-threaded, or if it was a steely nut, the metal might have cracked. give it a tug and a twist by hand, see if it comes off.

If you do it again, then tighten it up to less than you think (but tight enough so it holds itself) and gradually turn the water back on. If it weeps, then just keep flogging it until it's dry.

I found it helps if you clean the pipe bright with wirewool beforehand.
For domestic stuff, you are pretty much forced to use compression fittings for a valve.

You can buy push on valves such as Speedfit (Screwfix D18908) or Hep2o. These have a metal ring that grips the pipe to stop the fitting from being forced off by water pressure and an O ring to prevent leakage. If you fit these you will first need to cut off the ends of the pipes to remove the olives and carefully file off any burrs from the cut ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back