washing machine drainage in the sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have the drainage pipe of my washing machine connecting to the U Bend under the sink. It is about 4 inches above the bend itself. Currently, when the machine pumps out water, it fills up in the sink for about 5 seconds and then drains away. I have removed all the pipes and cleaned out any blockages. Is there any other reason for this happening, and how can I stop it?

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris.
I have cleaned out the Washing machine drainage pipe, and all the piping under the sink. The only part I couldnt reach was the out pipe that leads to the external drain, although I flushed it out with a hose pipe. Stange thing is water going down the sink, ie dishwashing etc has no struggle to go down.

The water going down the sink is doing so under the influence of gravity, the water from the washer is being pumped. It could be that the volume of water being pumped is too much for the pipe to handle. If you run a tap at a reasonable rate it will drain, run it hard and the sink will fill up, is this the scenario you are experiencing?

If your wasing machine pipe is 4" above the U bend, how close is this to the drain hole for the sink?

What type of fitting do you have?

Do you have a picture of the setup?

Sponsored Links
Thanks NStreet, ill get a picture put on for next week

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back