Water comes up the sink when washing machine/tumble dryer on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem is with the kitchen sink and combined washing machine/tumble dryer which are located right next to each other with a washing machine pipe joining the u bend section of the sink.

The sink drains very slowly and often the water level in the drain is visible through the plug.
When the washing machine is used to wash or dry water comes up the plug of the sink and often does not drain away straight away. When this is done the water is not clean and often has the tiny bits of food that are washed down it (don't get me wrong, I do not dispose of food down the sink). This means that we cannot use the sink while the washer/dryer is on and have to thoroughly clean it after every go.

We have tried using a plunger on it and lots of Mr Muscle varieties but all to no avail. My dad (who is not a plumber) suggested that it is because the machine is too close to the sink and so naturally water will take the shortest root out which is up the sink.

The other drains, bathroom and toilet, drain fine. The machine itself doesn't have any problems with drainage either, only the sink.

I live in a privately rented house and am unsure as to whether or not I have any standing when trying to get my landlord to fix this problem. As it is rented I do not wish to start taking the pipes apart myself!

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the under sink setup as it sounds as though you have the wrong type of trap under the sink.

Rico

Rico,

Thanks for the quick response.
In the picture the machine is to the left, the end of the cupboard is literally only just out of shot and the machine is flush up to the side of it.

It this what you needed? Let me know if its something different!

Many Thanks View media item 1541

if the sink drains slow and you get water sitting up to the plug hole you have a blockage between sink and main stack or the waste is running uphill.
having the wm next to sink is not the problem.

Sponsored Links
Remove the shelf, put a bucket underneath (to catch any water coming back down the pipes) and dismantle all the white piping.

Check that the U-bend is not blocked up.

If this is clear the blockage must be in the pipe on the right or the main stack pipe it connects to.

Don't forget to put everything back before you turn the tap on!!!

if there is any water in the u bend when u take it off, just pour it in the kitchen sink :LOL: :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back